XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus / Megan Charles
Style > Beauty

5 Reasons Why Your Skincare Routine Isn’t Working

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

To the girl who has spent 200+ dollars on new skincare products and then spent 2 days crying when none of the products seemed to work, this article goes out to you. I too know the pain of skincare failures and the helplessness felt when just nothing seems to work. I’ve bought, used, hated, and returned, many youtube recommended products in my day, but it wasn’t until I conducted deeper research that I realized clear skin goes beyond brand names and active ingredients. If you’re not seeing any progress with your current skincare routine, the following five reasons may be why. 

Too many actives

If you have acne-prone skin, the last thing you need to do is overdo the use of active ingredients. For example, using a 10% benzoyl peroxide cleanser, following with a salicylic acid exfoliant, and finishing with a sulfur spot treatment is overkill. Using too many actives in conjunction with one another will only dehydrate the skin and damage the moisture barrier, and acne will actually get worse as a result of this. Pick a method of how you will incorporate your active ingredients; if you want to use a mask, use a gentle cleanser and skip the spot treatment. If using a spot treatment, make sure you use a gentle cleanser and a good method of hydration.

You don’t moisturize

Oily skin does not mean that you are exempt from using a moisturizer! A common mistake made by those of us with oily skin is going heavy handed on products meant to treat acne, without properly moisturizing the skin. If you have oily skin and skip moisturizing,  your skin is only overproducing oil and subsequently suffering from more breakouts. When you moisturize the skin properly, it leads to a decrease in sebum, which is a large contributor to acne. As an oily skin girl, I enjoy using oil free moisturizers with a gel-like consistency; lighter formulas tend to dry down quickly instead of sitting on the skin and feeling greasy.

You don’t use SPF

Yes, even the most melanated skin needs SPF. Incorporating SPF in your routine is essential, especially for those struggling with hyperpigmentation. The sun is our worst enemy when it comes to skincare; it darkens dark spots and only speeds up the aging process. I’ve heard the excuses; it breaks me out, the whitecast is ugly, it’s too heavy, and the rest of the spiel.  There are both chemical and physical SPFs to choose from, and even tinted formulas that can help you beat the whitecast. My personal favorite SPF is the Youth-Extending Daily  Hydrating Fluid by Paula’s Choice; this liquid has an incredibly thin, waterlike formula and is SPF 50, making it a perfect contender for any acne-prone girls with oily skin and a deeper skin tone. 

Lack of protection

Use protection, always! Incorporating an occlusive at the end of my nighttime skincare routine has been a game changer for me. I know, the idea of petroleum on your face may seem scary, even for those with skin on the dry side, but hear me out; putting an ointment on your face such as the Vaseline healing jelly or CeraVe’s Healing Ointment will really help to seal in all of your serums, treatments, and moisturizers, so that the products and penetrate the skin and not wipe off in the middle of the night. Protecting your skin with an occlusive is also essential in healing a damaged moisture barrier, and retaining moisture all around; your supple, soft skin dreams begin with an occlusive!

Your pillowcases are dirty

You may be tired of skincare enthusiast shoving this tip down your throat, but it’s all for good reason. Applying a highly expensive, and well thought out skincare routine means nothing if you proceed to suffocate your face with soiled linens at the end of the night. If you’re suffering from chronic breakouts and have not changed your linens in over a month, try to start with doing your laundry before selecting add to cart on whatever product TikTokers are raving about at the time. Changing your pillowcases is an easy, inexpensive way to investigate the causation of your skin issues.

I’m no stranger to acne: fungal, hormonal, comedonal, cystic, face, body etc.; you name it and I’ve probably dealt with it. However, while the recommended tips above will be ways to jumpstart the effectiveness of your skincare routines, it is imperative that as young women in college, we remember that acne is normal if nothing else. It doesn’t make you less beautiful, and it will get better. I hope these tips will be the beginning of your skincare routines delivering the results you desire, and the end of weary souls, tear stained eyes, and damaged moisture barriers.

Cheyenne Paterson is a senior English major, Strategic Communications minor studying at Hampton University from Boston, MA. She aspires to combine storytelling and an editorial style of writing to increase audience engagement and advocate for brands and corporations. Cheyenne is the Editor-In-Chief for Hampton University's Chapter of Her Campus, a regular contributor to Impressions of Beauty, and the President of the Peer Counselor's organization on campus. In her free time, Cheyenne enjoys dabbling in interior design, perfecting her homemade coffee, and baking new recipes!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!