kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Reasons Why You Need A Plant in Your Room Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

I will be the first to admit that when I found out how hard and stressful college could be on a student, instead of sulking into a deep hole of stress and procrastination, I decided to be proactive and take conscious steps to help alleviate common stressors from my life. I started by switching up my bedroom decor. When I was shopping for my new apartment, I made sure to take into account elements that would make my space feel peaceful and “homey.” I decided to buy two cute baby succulents that I found in the garden section at IKEA. My plant, Shanti looks sort of like this:

While succulents are proven to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, proven research shows that having plants in your bedroom space bringsw a variety of health benefits. Here are five reasons why you need a plant in your bedroom right now.

They Clean Your Air

Most scientists agree that having a plant in your bedroom helps to improve the quality of air. Plants have large surface areas and exchange gases and water with their surroundings. This contributes to their success of increasing humidity, keeping air temperatures down, reducing carbon dioxide, airborne dust levels and reducing pollutants like benzene and nitrogen dioxide.

They Improve Your Memory, Cognition and Mental Well-Being

Yes, it’s true! You can improve your study techniques by reading a chapter before bed and making sure you have your favorite plant on your nightstand. According to a study conducted at the University of Georgia, “The same compounds that give plants and vegetables their vibrant colors might be able to bolster brain functioning in older adults.”  People receive a carotenoid compound from their diets. Two carotenoids known as lutein and zeaxanthin have been proven to improve eye and cognitive health in adults. In that same study at the University of Georgia, researchers found that participants with higher levels of the two carotenoids were able to minimize the amount of brain activity necessary to complete the tasks at hand. This essentially makes them more “neurally efficient.” We’re learning how to study smarter- not harder!

They Help Your Eyesight

You can find most Hampton students walking around campus on their phones or sitting in front of a computer screen. According to Healthline, college students should apply “the 20-20-20 rule” to help reduce eye strain from screens, which causes dry or irritated eyes and blurred vision. It works by taking a break every 20 minutes to look at your plant, or something else that’s 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. By looking at your green plant during the 20-20-20 rule, you can reduce the negative effects of your phone and computer screens and increase your creativity. Who doesn’t love a productivity hack?!

They Reduce Stress

Essentially, plants do the exact opposite of what we do when we breathe. They release oxygen while absorbing carbon dioxide. This process not only freshens the air around us, but also eliminates harmful toxins. According to research conducted by NASA, houseplants can remove up to 87 percent of air toxin in 24 hours. In another study conducted by the NCBI, participants that were exposed to hospital rooms with indoor plants reported less stress than those in a controlled condition. The analysis confirmed that indoor plants in rooms reduce feelings of stress due to perceived attractiveness of the room. Not only will your IG followers find your new plants aesthetically pleasing, but your eyes and stress levels will thank you, too.

They Increase Your Motivation To Study

While you can’t count on a plant to do your homework for you, research shows that “indoor plants in an office can prevent fatigue during attention-demanding work.” While studying, feel free to glance over at your pretty green plant. It just might help motivate you to finish studying so you can pass that test! According to a study conducted by Claire-Michelle Loock, Thorsten Staake and Frederic Thiesse in the MIS Quarterly, the color green can be associated with motivating, energy efficient behavior.  

Worrying about how you’re going to keep a plant alive and still juggle a busy schedule? Don’t stress, it’s possible! Low-maintenance plants such as succulents, fern, coffee plants, jade plants and snake plants all thrive with indirect sunlight and watering at least once a week. Other pretty low-maintenance plants for your bedroom include spider plants, aloe and lucky bamboo. The next time you catch yourself at the store, consider the health benefits that come with keeping a plant in your bedroom and make a trip to the garden section!  

Miracle Bailey

Hampton U '20

Miracle Bailey is a Junior, strategic communications major from Detroit. She's a foodie, lover of music and a plant mother of two lovely succulents. Follow her on IG & Twitter @1miraclebailey
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.