Style > Beauty

5 Natural Hair Brands You Need to Add to Your Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Choosing the right hair product is the first step in building a healthy relationship with your natural hair. Our hair comes in all different curl patterns, porosities, and thicknesses, and we must give it the right nutrients for it to do what it does best!

My natural hair journey started years ago with heat damaged ends and all the wrong products. Over the years, I tried everything to see what my hair loves, and I have finally found what works for me. Everyone’s hair journey is different, but here is what I learned with my Top 5 Natural Hair Brands.

Before we get started, here are a few things you should know. My hair type/curl pattern is between 3c and 4a. Because my hair curls differently all over my head, it can be difficult to gauge. Another thing you should know is it is recommended by hair care professionals that you use products all from the same line. In my haircare routines, I don’t always follow this rule, but as I said before, everyone’s hair journey is different. Experiment and do what works for you!

1. Shea Moisture

Our first brand is well-known and loved Shea Moisture. This was one of the first products I used for my natural hair, and I immediately fell in love. They offer tons of different mixtures and recipes that are tailored to your specific hair type, which I believe is one of their greatest attributes. For my hair specifically, my favorite mixture is the coconut and hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie. My hair can get very dry if I don’t moisturize regularly, and this product combats that perfectly without causing any buildup. This product is great for twist outs and braid outs.

2. As I Am

As I Am products are one of my favorites and always keep my hair moisturized. This brand is one of the few that is consistent throughout all of the products, from conditioner to gel. I especially love these products because they are lightweight and don’t leave my hair oversaturated or weighed down when I am doing a wash ‘n go. My absolute favorite product is the Coil Defining Jelly. It is one of the only gels I have used that doesn’t make my hair hard and crunchy, while also leaving my curls extremely defined. I recommend this product for a wash ‘n go. 

3. Aunt Jackies

Aunt Jackie’s is another great brand that I have been using for a long time. Their Curl Defining Custard and Curling Jelly are a staple product of mine, especially because of its affordability. My favorite product, however, would have to be the Frizz Patrol Anti-Poof Twist & Curl Setting Mousse. The name is a mouthful, but the results are amazing. This product works great for twist-outs, braids-outs, set slick-backs, and sets protective styles like box braids. 

4. Mielle Organic

Mielle Organics products are extremely consistent as well. I haven’t used a Mielle product that left my hair dry or unsatisfactory in any way. The Avocado Moisturizing Hair Milk is my favorite product on this line. I typically apply it after washing my hair, and this product has so much slip it’s amazing. It leaves my curls moisturized and after adding gel, it’s perfect!

5. The Doux

The Doux is a brand that I just recently started using but their co-wash is the best I have ever used. It is an anti-breakage conditioner that uses natural ingredients and as a bonus, it smells like bubblegum. When I wash my hair with co-wash I part my hair in sections to detangle, and using this product makes the brush glide through my hair incredibly easy. This product softens my hair and makes a great base to apply a moisturizer after I wash. My curls are soft moisturized and bouncy and I love it!  

Naya Bass

Hampton U '24

My name is Naya Bass and I am a freshman Strategic Communications and Psychology double-major at Hampton University. I am originally from Ypsilanti, Michigan and hope to find a career as a Media Psychologist. My hobbies include reading, shopping, writing, and watching Netflix!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!