Hero Images with HC Branding 11?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 11?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Christina @wocintechchat via Unsplash
Style > Beauty

5 Female Owned Businesses You Should Be Supporting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Female owned businesses do not always get the love they deserve especially when they are small or just starting off.  Here are 5 female owned businesses to start supporting today!

woman posing in business casual blazer
Pexels / Emmy E

The Lip Bar

Had it not been for Melissa Butler’s perseverance after being turned down on the hit tv show, Shark Tank, we may not have the lipstick collection we have today. This brand is vegan and cruelty-free with a wide range of colors suitable for any skin tone. Since its origin, they have expanded their brand from just lipsticks to foundations, blush, mascara, and even a highlighter palette. Now, you can do a full face makeup look for a reasonable price. This brand is sold in Target and on their website.

Susi Studio

Founder Bianca Moran created this vegan shoe brand in 2016 and has since then gained much success. They have over 21,000 followers on social media and have truly exemplified their mission of showing compassion towards humanity. Though they are based in Los Angeles, they still work with production factories in both Hong Kong and Portugal. You can shop for new shoes that help the environment at susistudio.com

Mielle Organics

This natural hair care brand caters to all hair types from 3a to 4c! Its founder and CEO, Monique Rodriguez, curates each product in the line herself. She even posts videos of herself in the warehouse overseeing various decisions within the business. The brand has many collections to help cater to your hair needs whether you require moisturization or need to strengthen your strands with protein. The line is also sold at various retailers from Target to Amazon so why wait? Get yourself some new hair products at mielleorganics.com and let your curls be free or keep them healthy underneath a cute protective style.

Sunday Energy

Are you into jewelry? Sunday Energy may be just the place for you to shop! Melissa Flores founded the company in 2019 while still maintaining an online presence with her Youtube channel. She has had much success with her business. Their products range from hoops to rings to bracelets – all shipped to you with love & positivity. You can find this brand at shopsundayenergy.com

The Honey Pot

You may remember when this brand was in the news for being “racist” for a Target ad featuring women of color that upset many Caucasian women. However, this brand has had increased sales since the incident. They were even completely sold out at one point! This feminine care collection has everything you need to take care of your home girl downstairs. Wipes, feminine wash, pads, and newly added menstrual cups. They even have specified collections to cater to expecting mothers and sensitive skin beauties. To shop for their products, just go to thehoneypot.co

As you explore these brands and support them also make sure to support your friends who have their own businesses! Also, don’t forget that your support doesn’t always have to come from your wallet. You can support by posting about a female owned business and getting the word out or even by sending a quick word of praise and encouragement to the owner. 

Sherdell Baker

Hampton U '23

Sherdell Baker is an emerging trailblazer in the media industry. Along with her being President (Campus Correspondent) for Her Campus Hampton U, she also writes for her own lifestyle & advice blog and ESSENCE Girls United. Sherdell works to one day be the Editor-in-Chief of a major magazine publication or create her own magazine company and continue to share important stories after she graduates from Hampton University.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!