This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As the trees begin to lose their leaves and the wind gets chillier, it’s normal to change up your wardrobe right? Of course! 

But when was the last time you really switched up? Do you wear the same style that you did three winters ago? Do you have an overabundance of the same clothes? Regardless of your personal circumstances, there are five essential trends you have to try! 

Monochromatic Outfits

Even though this trend can be used year-round, it is definitely eye-catching in the fall. You can dress outfits up or down when you use this styling tactic as long as it’s all one color. What adds the depth is when you incorporate different shades of this one color to really make it pop.

Blazers

Now I know that blazers are normally used in professional settings, but they can definitely still be used for casual fashion purposes too. Try pairing a bright colored blazer with dark jeans or a blazer with a cute bodycon skirt and sneakers for a more relaxed look. This will help you stay warm as the seasons change. Whether you want to look elegant or simply put-together, blazers will do both for you at the same time!

Rhinestone Headbands

I’ve been seeing this pop up frequently from different companies on social media, have you? These cute headbands could be just what you need to upgrade your look for the fall. There are all types of cute designs, patterns, and colors. Search for them and find out which one might be for you.

Layering 

This might seem like a gimmie to some, but to others this concept may not have been thought about. Layering your outfits can elevate to your fall style because it adds dimension to your look. Whether you add a trench coat and scarf or a long-sleeve top with a leather jacket, both looks can be great for the fall. Especially when you tie in a nice color scheme and accessories- it’s all up to you!

Headwear

While you might think that headbands fall under the category of headwear, I’d beg to differ. A hat or scarf can cover more of your head than a headband can. Pair your cutest fall outfit with a fedora or beret and you’ll be out the door. They come in different shapes, sizes and colors. Scarves come in handy on those rainy or windy days when you don’t want your hair to get messed up. Try it, it might be just the fashion statement you need.

Now that you have some trendy ideas to follow, the rest is up to you! I encourage you to try something new with your wardrobe this fall season, and even if you don’t go to many places due to the pandemic – you can STILL have cute pictures!

Sherdell Baker

Hampton U '23

Sherdell Baker is an emerging trailblazer in the media industry. Along with her being President (Campus Correspondent) for Her Campus Hampton U, she also writes for her own lifestyle & advice blog and ESSENCE Girls United. Sherdell works to one day be the Editor-in-Chief of a major magazine publication or create her own magazine company and continue to share important stories after she graduates from Hampton University.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!