5 Churches & Pastors You Can Watch From the Comfort of Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Finding a home church while you’re away at school can be difficult. Even if you do find a home church that you love, you might not be able to make it every Sunday. But you can always curl up in your pjs, pull out a notebook, and engage with a Christian church online. If you don’t know which ones to listen to here are 5 churches and pastors to deepen your faith walk. Give one of these a try and I guarantee you’ll find a place to nurture your spirit.

Steven Furtick – Elevation Church

Steven Furtick is a songwriter, New York Times bestseller, and the lead pastor of Elevation Church – which has nine locations in NC, VA, SC, and even FL! I have been watching Elevation Church online for several years now and it has honestly changed my life. The first few times I listened to Pastor Steven speak about the Word of God, I cried during each sermon. His sermons are rejuvenating and spiritually filling. He talks about anxiety, comparison, and your calling (which are all relevant topics for college students). His format makes it easy to take notes. He usually has about 3 points and they usually all start with the same letter. You’ll be able to remember these teachings and keep them in your back pocket on the way to class. And don’t worry, watching online doesn’t mean that you are any less a part of the church! You can join Elevation’s eFam to fellowship with other believers.

My favorite sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o1GkfXUdc&t=1722s

Pastor Michael Todd – Transformation Church

Transformation Church is a beautiful church located in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Yes, ladies, that’s a long way from Hampton. But you can tune in every week for sermons from Pastor Michael Todd, best known for his sermon series “Relationship Goals.” Some of his other series are “Savage Jesus,” and “Crazy Faith.” The most amazing thing about this church is their authenticity. Pastor Michael Todd doesn’t shy away from the things that will make you cringe – the things that you really need to hear. So if you’re looking for a home church that keeps it real, Transformation is the place for you.

My favorite sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7XPD9JmVM&t=2496s 

Sarah Jakes Roberts – The Potter’s House at OneLA

Female preachers don’t get the love they deserve so you know I had to add Sarah Jakes Roberts to this list. She is the daughter of the megachurch pastor TD Jakes. Her and her husband Toure Roberts are the lead pastors of The Potter’s House at OneLA. Her sermons in particular always move me. To put it simply – she does not come to play. When she steps into the pulpit, you can rest assured that the Word of God is going to be delivered with vigor. She is visibly passionate about the word of God and it’s always empowering to see another black woman embrace the Lord so fully.

My favorite sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_s9oHwvRVQ

Joyce Meyer – Joyce Meyer Ministries

Joyce Meyer simply could not be excluded from this list. She is a seasoned preacher with years of wisdom and Biblical principle under her belt. She leads mission trips, speaks at women’s conferences, and has released 130 books. You can access her teachings on youtube and she has a daily program called Enjoying Everyday Life. If you like podcasts like I do, tune in! I listen to it while I do my makeup and by the time I grab that setting spray, I’ve already been blessed by the Word. It’s only 15 minutes long. Joyce Meyer also pioneered Project GRL – “an initiative birthed out of her heart to give women and girls who are marginalized by society or their circumstances a chance to become all God has created them to be.”

My favorite podcast episode: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/joyce-meyer-radio-podcast/id152564333#episodeGuid=903ae61046c44291ab0835abf2820067

Pastor Robert Madu

If you’re a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, you’ve found your preacher. Pastor Robert Madu is amazing. He’s a teacher at Trinity Church in Cedar Hill, TX. He speaks at churches all across the United States and has been doing so for 13 years. His style of preaching is engaging and he explains the Word in terms you can understand. As his website states, Pastor Madu “is compelled, to make aware to every individual that God is for them and that He has a specific plan and purpose for every life.” 

My favorite sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRVOJAmLDO4

Church isn’t about the building that you congregate in. It’s about experiencing the Lord’s presence and inviting him to meet you where you are. It’s about community and fellowship. Listening to sermons and becoming apart of an online community can transform your faith walk especially if you haven’t found your church family yet. I urge you to listen to a sermon (or two) and watch your life change!

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!