30 Shades of Forbes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Every year, Forbes releases its 600 candidates for the honorable 30 individuals under 30- years-old. They go through a long selection process, narrowing down honorees from over thousands of submissions and nominations. These candidates spread over a wide variety of categories including food, consumer technology, art, e-commerce, education, healthcare, finance, and the list goes on. Of course, all of the individuals on the list are amongst the brightest in their fields, but we would like to recognize some of the honorees of color you should be familiar with.

(Photo to W Magazine, Photographer: Brad Ogbonna)

First up, are Fatimah Asghar and Sam Bailey. These young ladies are the co-creators of Brown Girls, a web series about two friends and their lives living in Chicago. The Emmy-nominated series contains seven episodes and has officially been signed to HBO Network to be redrafted as a television show. You can find more info about “Brown Girls” at www.browngirlswebseries.com.

For all of the Yara Shahidi fans out there, you’ll love Forbes next 30 Under 30 pick. Kara Brown, a former writer for The Jezebel, a digital magazine, turned staff writer for the new spin-off of “Black-ish” called “Grown-ish” featuring Yara Shahidi (also a Forbes 30 under 30 pick). Kara Brown is just 29-years-old and says she is most passionate about telling stories of women of color. She currently resides in Los Angeles, California. You can find more info on Kara at www.kara-brown.com.

Next up, 29-year-old actor and comedian Jermaine Fowler. Fowler began performing stand up while he was still in high school. Since then he has worked his way to becoming the executive producer and lead role of CBS’ “Superior Donuts”. As if that wasn’t enough, he is also the first African American lead in a sitcom in a generation. You can find more info on Jermaine at www.jermainefowler.com.

Last, but certainly not least is 22-year-old, Iyore Olaye. Originally beginning as an intern, Olaye is now the lead project development engineer at Walker and Company. Walker and Company creates beauty products for people of color. Olaye leads R&D and is known for her strong technical abilities and marketing talent, Forbes says. Olaye is currently the only female on her team.You can read more about Iyore Olaye at www.medium.com/@walkercobrands.

These are just four of the amazingly talented women and men of color recognized by Forbes 30 Under 30. Unfortunately, we couldn’t cover them all, but here are a few more to look out for:

Yara Shahidi

Marli Dias

Madina Nalwanga

Kofi Siriboe

Ayesha Curry

Jourdan Dunn

Davidson Petit-Frère

Jasmine Kromah is a second year, strategic communications student from Charlotte, NC. She currently attends Hampton University.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.