This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Women’s social issues, women’s studies, and women’s health have all made headline news in recent years. Women are voicing their opinions louder than ever before. So why was the women’s march so small this year?

The women’s march was held on January 19 on the National Mall. This was the third annual march, the first being in protest of Donald Trump’s inauguration. However, numbers were lower than in previous years. This is partially due to Tamika Mallory, the women’s march co-president, openly showing support for Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan whose strong anti-semitic statements have become a large part of his public image over the years. According to Newsmax.com, he made claims in 2015 that, “many Jews received a text message not to come to work on Sept. 11.” He even went so far as to say that Jews, not al-Qaida terrorists, were behind the 9/11 attacks.  

Keeping with his hateful rhetoric, CNN reported that on Saviour’s Day of 2018 Farrakhan stated, “the Jews were responsible for all of this filth and degenerate behavior that Hollywood is putting out turning men into women and women into men.”

Farrakhan is obviously anti-semitic (as well as a host of other things) and doesn’t mind spewing his hatred. Despite this, Mallory literally called him the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time). This alignment deterred many women from attending the women’s march this year. Understandably, they were left wondering where the movement is headed. After all, Mallory’s acceptance of Farrakhan’s radical (and offensive) opinions might be an indication of her own anti-semitic views. In fact, Haaretz.com recounted a recent interview on PBS’s “Firing Line,” during which mallory refused to say that Israel has the right to exist and also refused to denounce Louis Farrakhan. Her comments definitely did not calm the nerves of alarmed women’s march activists.

While many are calling for Mallory’s resignation, some are indifferent. How do you feel about the situation? Would Tamika Mallory’s alignment with Farrakhan deter you from attending the Women’s march? Are you concerned about her leadership?

Sources: https://www.newsmax.com/us/farrakhan-saviors-day-911-zionists/2015/03/09/id/629061/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/politics/louis-farrakhan-speech/index.html

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/women-s-march-leader-wouldn-t-say-in-interview-whether-israel-has-right-to-exist-1.6851611

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com