This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Sex is a part of human nature. It keeps the human race going and growing. But when is the right time to start having sex? 

For some, the right time is when they get into a stable relationship and for others, it’s when they feel that they’re ready altogether. For me, the right time is after I get married. With that being said, I’m sure you can imagine how my dating life has been in college. 

It was never hard to get a guy’s attention in high school or college, but keeping their attention after I told them I was saving myself is a WHOLE other story. At first, I definitely felt like I was the problem, but in reality, I wasn’t. Looking back on it, I’m thankful for the guys that stopped talking to me because I wasn’t going to give it up to them. It helped me learn a lot faster what their true intentions were and kept my peace grounded. Also, it makes it so much easier to get over guys, expeditiously. 

It all started with my promise to not only God, but to myself and my Dad. Growing up I always knew it was important to save myself for marriage, but I didn’t fully understand why until my senior year of high school. The real temptation of wanting to go further with a guy came and I guess you could say my “whys” always interfered with my thoughts and feelings. I could always hear a voice telling me to stop or I would just see my Dad’s face, who is now deceased, just pop up. Talk about a guilt trip. 

I’ve had friends tell me that I’ve waited long enough and that I should just lose my virginity to get it over with. I’ve had people tell me I’m too old to still be a virgin. How could something that doesn’t affect anyone but me seem to bother them so much? 

Keeping my promise that I made years ago is very important and special to me. If you are saving yourself for marriage, keep it up regardless of what others may think or say about it! It’s way more than a promise, it’s a spiritual journey that goes beyond the realms of the world. Regardless, do what makes you happy because nobody is going to live your life except for you. 

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.