element5 digital E3jZBz5lYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital E3jZBz5lYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Tips to Celebrate Safely During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We’re in the last few months of the year which means it’s the HOLIDAY SEASON! This is my favorite time of the year. The weather gets colder, the seasonal coffees and pastries appear, and my creativity goes through the roof. Of course, this year looks different. Here are ten helpful tips to celebrate this holiday season.

10. If you or family members cannot celebrate while social distancing, celebrate over Zoom! Everyone deserves to see family, especially during the holidays. So don’t be afraid to schedule that Zoom call for your Halloween contest, your virtual Thanksgiving, or your White Elephant party!

9. If you do have the opportunity to celebrate while social distancing, make sure to tie in COVID-19 safe gifts and activities! For example, goody bags are a great idea for this spooky Halloween season. Try making your own goody bags that include masks and small hand sanitizers to keep your friends and family safe. 

8. Don’t want to attend family Thanksgiving this year to stay safe? Have a cook-off over the phone! Try sending family members a simple recipe for apple pie or mac and cheese to test their creativity. After the cooking is done, each person can present their recipe and trade ideas! 

7. I love to watch scary movies with my friends during October. One thing that I have started doing is setting up an outdoor movie theater! I got the idea from my cousin’s family up in Michigan (Shout out to Carla!). For this tip, measure out 6 ft by 6 ft squares so guests can set up in their socially distant boxes. Everyone brings snacks and watches the movie on the blow-up screen!

6. Want to show off that new game you got for Christmas but can’t invite people over? Play online! This one may be simple but it’s a really fun and active way to stay connected to friends and family while in quarantine.

5. When I was at school my favorite Christmas activity was Secret Santa. Now that we are at home, we can go bigger and better. I personally like to paint, so for my gifts this year (spoiler alert) I am doing boxes with my friends’ favorite things. Feel free to put your own spin on this idea!

4. Spreading joy during this season has become more important than ever. For the family members who can’t join in on these socially distant events, send them holiday-themed cards! For the 12 days of Christmas, dedicate one card to each day. It’s a fun idea for both the creator and whoever receives it!

3. Another way to spread joy is to donate clothing, food, and other essentials to shelters and food banks. Everyone deserves to have a safe and warm holiday season. You can always contribute to that effort. Gather a group of friends to make food for your local homeless shelter or donate the clothing that you grew out of to a thrift store or women’s shelter. Give back to the community! 

2. Now for those of us who still live with our family members, take this holiday season to spend time with them. In my house, my family and I never fail to play an intense game of Gin Rummy or Monopoly to bring smiles to our faces. And even though we can do this year-round, the holiday season always reminds us to be thankful for each other. (Bonus: get matching pajamas and take Christmas pictures!)

1. Now here is something special for you this Holiday season. Take these last three months and write to yourself. For October, write about something that was once scary but is now achievable. For November, write about what you are thankful for, especially the positive events that have happened this year. And for December, write about what gives you joy and happiness.

2020 has been one crazy year and has honestly drained me more than once. As you close out the year with these 10 tips and tricks, don’t forget to breathe and look forward to the better days ahead. Stay safe and happy holidays!

Eden Jones is a first-year psychology major from Washington, DC. After college, Eden plans to go to graduate school and receive her Master's in Psychology. At Hampton, she is a member of the Her Campus Twitter team, and is also a member of the executive board of College Girls; where she serves as the Bonding Events Coordinator. In her free time, Eden enjoys making flyers for her clubs, watching new shows and movies with her family, and getting to know other Hamptonians virtually.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!