10 Things You’re Probably Doing Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

1. Bobby Pins

So besides these and scrunchies, these are probably the item that is lost the most. How many bobby pins can you say you’ve had for longer than 4 days? Were do they go? Is there like a bobby pin leprechaun? We usually use these with the flat side down right? Well, I am here to tell you that we have been doing it way wrong. You are supposed to use the bobby pin rigged side down, to ensure safety and fit more hair in.

2. Walking on the right side

So when walking to class there are usually people all over the sidewalk, going in different directions on different sides. In fact, we are actually supposed to walk on the right side of the sidewalk as we drive on the right side of the street. If everybody walked on the right side of the sidewalk that would alleviate a lot of traffic.

3. Letting people out first

When entering a building there will most likely be someone coming out as you are trying to come in. You are supposed to let the person come out of the building before you enter. This includes males, so if a female is coming into the building she is supposed to hold the door for you and let you out. Regardless of gender, please be sure to say “Thank you.”

4. “I could care less”

“I could care less” is the term we often hear but in fact, it is actually “I couldn’t care less.” If you could care less, that means you care enough for you not to care. If you don’t understand the explanation still try to say it the correct way lol.

Correction: “I couldn’t care less.”

5. “Valentimes day”

Valentimes day? What is that? I only know of Valentines Day… Must be a new holiday or something.

Correction: “Valentines Day”

6. “Mine as well”

Correction: “Might as well!”

7. “Mines”

Actual representation of the word “mines” Mines is not a word! I don’t know what it is with people and the word “mine” but this is not how you use it. Cut the ‘s’ its just “mine.’

Correction: “Its mine!”

8. “Happy New Years”

It’s not “Happy New Years” we are only welcoming in one new year.

Correction: “Happy New Year”

9. “Sorry for your lost” 

“Sorry for your lost.” What? Lost is the past tense and past participle of to lose. “I lost it,” “It’s lost.” Loss is a noun.

Correction: “Sorry for your loss”

10. They’re, there, their

I think so many people missed out on this portion of English because this happens too often. “I wanted to go over they’re, because there having a party. Be their or be square.”

Correction: They’re- contraction of “they” and “are”.

Their- possession.

There- location.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.