This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week I realized, that it is nearly impossible to go through life without cracking a smile or bursting into laughter. Being happy is an essential part of being human. It lifts your spirits and it may lift the spirits of others around you. To be happy, you have to spread happiness and joy from one being to the next. It all starts with a smile.

1. Little things

A simple hug and “how are you?” always brightens my day. Knowing someone cares about me and how I am doing brings a sense of excitement to my whole day. Don’t forget to reciprocate the nice gesture to make someone else happy.

2. Food

Everyone loves food! Food will always make me happy. From ice cream to BBQ, to my mom’s mac-n-cheese, I love it all! Having a full stomach my favorite food always brings a smile to my face.

3. Cheerleading

Since I was three I have cheered and without it I would not know what to do. I’m in a whole different world when I get on the blue mat at competitions. All the glitter, bobby pins and makeup just add to my overall happiness. I get to be a girl and an athlete at the same time.

4. School

You may not believe it but, school makes me happy! I love learning, trying new things, being in the academic environment and meeting new people. Learning opens my mind to many more things that I could possibly learn more about. Being knowledgeable about a little bit of anything is never a bad thing.

5. Painting

In my spare time, I love to paint. Anything that comes to my mind I paint it. It’s a stress reliever. It distracts from me from my worries because it is difficult to dwell on troubles once in the flow of a painting. I feel very confident as I start my paintings. At the end of each painting I have a sense of accomplishment that no one can take away from me. Find something like this that will help you feel the same way I do!

6. Friends

Sometimes we bicker, feel envious, or even talk about each other, but at the end of the day we need them. They make us laugh when we’re down and they’re there to celebrate with us during the good times. My friends support and love me in everything I do, no matter how big or small.

7. Holidays

Spending time with family. Eating great food. Positive vibes. Every time family and friends surround me I feel nothing but love. Sharing stories about the past and how much fun we had when we were little brings back great memories that I will always cherish. I can’t wait for the holiday season to begin.

8. Singing

I’m no Aretha Franklin or Diana Ross, but singing makes me laugh. When I’m sad I know I can turn to music to help me push through my rough patches. All my friends criticize my singing but they eventually join in when I don’t stop because they can’t help but to sing terribly with me.

9. Brothers

Someone that will always be there even when you don’t need them or when you’re in dire need of them. This is the definition of my brothers. I love them to pieces and just seeing their faces makes me that much happier. The bond we share can’t be compared to anything. Every time we’re together it’s nothing but nonstop laughs and jokes. Having siblings or friends that are like siblings is the best feeling in the world.

10. Shopping

Last but not least, what girl doesn’t like to shop? My face lights up when I am just thinking about all the possibilities that await me in each store. Searching through the racks to find the right size and trying on each piece of clothing makes me feel like a star getting ready to shoot a movie.

Sit down and think about what makes you happy. What makes you smile and feel good about yourself? Write these things down and go to your list whenever you’re feeling down. You won’t be feeling that way for too long!

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.