This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We all know the iconic 90s movie “10 Things I Hate About You,” starring Julia Stiles and the late Heath Ledger. This romantic comedy was full of love, trust and iconic songs that we can’t get enough of. With valentine’s day right around the corner, it is only fitting that I bring you a twist to this timeless classic.

Here are the 10 Things I Love About Me. Being in a season of singleness is okay and necessary. When you can sit down and hone into the reasons why you love yourself – you will be open to others loving you in the future.

Before we get started here is a quick disclaimer- it is okay to boost yourself up. I am not bragging about myself, rather I am acknowledging the things that make me who I am. Let’s jump right into it.

Reason 1: My Sense of Humor 

Who doesn’t love a good joke, well one thing I have noticed is my ability to laugh at almost anything. My sense of humor allows me to relax and enjoy the simplest pleasures of life. Laughter soothes the soul and the more I take time to have fun and enjoy my happiness the more positive I remain in life. 

One of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou says, “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” 

Reason 2: My Kindness 

This one has to be one of my favorites, being someone who has a  kind and loving spirit, your energy begins to radiate to others and that is a beautiful sight to see. Being kind helps you to feel more energetic and personally it allows me to make wonderful relationships with my peers. 

Reason 3: My Creativity 

As someone who loves the arts, my creativity allows me to express myself through various outlets and channels. Finding what makes you creative and stand out from others is an amazing way to boost your self confidence. For me, I admire my eye for designing graphics, dancing, and writing my poetry. All three of these things are what make me.. ME ! 

Reason 4: My Smile 

This is actually a funny one, before I grew into my body, I was always ashamed of my teeth. Especially, since I had two “buck” teeth in the front. As I grew older I learned to love my smile ! I noticed that everytime I did smile it would spread across the room and make those around me happy. My smile is nowhere near perfect, but in my eyes it’s one of my best facial features because it has the ability to make other people smile too. 

Reason 5: My Confidence

This one took a lot of self discovery and personal growth but through time, I have learned to love myself and everything that comes with being me. Confidence is a crucial part of being human, when you exude confidence you begin to view yourself differently. As I always like to say, “you glow differently.” Confidence is both believing in yourself and your ability to do anything that you put your mind to. Through my collegiate experience, my confidence has grown exceptionally allowing me to be comfortable in my own skin.  

Reason 6: My Weaknesses

You are probably reading to yourself and saying, “why would someone love their weaknesses?” Let me explain, my weaknesses make me the person I am today. Embracing the things that you haven’t mastered yet leave room for growth and development. Flaws are never a burden, they are simple tasks you haven’t gotten to yet. I love to acknowledge the things that I deem to be flaws, because as I acknowledge them I am able to accept and find ways to improve on them in the future. 

Reason 7: My Personality 

My personality is another thing that I am in love with. It’s a mixture of being bubbly, nerdy, silly, and giving. I believe that each part of my personality helps me in different capacities of my life. It helps me to create meaningful relationships, seek job opportunities, and establish unbreakable bonds. The best thing about it is that everyday I still learn new things about myself that I never noticed before. 

“Never be ashamed of who you are, because there is only one YOU!”

Reason 8: My Eyes

Do you know that saying, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” well in this case I agree. My eyes are one of the most beautiful parts of my face. No they aren’t colored, or have cool color changing abilities. They are simple and brown but they are my eyes. Many times, we compare our features to others when in reality we have everything in front of us that makes us beautiful. Although my eyes aren’t different colors or a certain shape they are still unique because they were designed to be on me.

Reason 9: My Heart 

I know this sounds mushy, but one thing that I truly admire about myself is that I have a big heart. I am always worrying about the welfare of others and those I care about. I love to give to others and be there when they need a friend. I know that with my ability to sympathize with others, it leaves room for those to trust me and create bonds. My emotions are what makes me unique and I love that I am able to express them with those I care about. 

Reason 10: That I Am Uniquely Made 

To round off this list, I want to include my favorite scripture, Psalms 139:14 “ I am Fearfully, Beautifully, and Wonderfully Made.” I am formed in his image and by his creation and design I am uniquely me. It amazes me that there is only one person like me in this world. No one else looks like me or is me, for that reason I love that I am who I am. Take a moment sometimes to love and embrace who you are, because no one else in the world is like you. 

I hope this was helpful to you and as you go into this Valentines Day holiday, with a significant other, yourself or even friends. Take a moment to reflect on who you are and make a list physically or mentally of the 10 Things You Love About Yourself !

Xoxo, 

Happy Valentines Girls ! 

Ciara White-Sparks is a Junior Broadcast Journalism major & Marketing minor from Las Vegas, Nevada. Her goal is to pursue a career in Entertainment as a Media Correspondent and TV Host. While working as a Public Relations Consultant. Ciara is involved in a plethora of organizations on campus. She has a podcast entitled, "Seriously Flawed but Destined to be Great." A virtual talk show, entitled "The Saturday Social," is now streaming on YouTube. Lastly, she has her non-profit movement entitled, “F.B.W. The Movement” which is dedicated to speaking purpose into girls the ages 13-18. She is a lover of all things beauty and pageantry and she hopes to be the next Miss USA in the year 2024.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.