10 Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The holiday season always brings about feelings of joy, togetherness, and love but it also brings feelings of lonesomeness causing us to compare ourselves to others. With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, there is a lot of talk about what people are thankful for, and sometimes it may feel like you have nothing to be thankful for. But I’m here to brighten up your spirits a little bit. Here’s a list of ten simple things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving:

1. You can read.

Not everyone is as fortune as you to possess the skill of literacy. So go ahead, pat yourself on the back for that!

2. You’re breathing.As silly as it might sound, you have been blessed enough to have another day on Earth and live, breathe, and laugh as freely as you please.

3. You have a computer, phone, or tablet.Obviously if you’re reading this, you’re accessing it from some sort of electronic device; a luxury not everyone is afforded. So consider yourself lucky!

4. You can make your own decisions.You chose to be on this website, reading this specific blog post, so more power to you. Woo-hoo for making your own decisions!

5. You have distinct characteristics that make you, you.Whether it be your hair, your style, or the way you talk, you are beautifully and wonderfully made. There is no one else out there just like you.

6. You’re not in jail!As bizarre as it might sound, you’re not locked away in a cell for some odd amount of years. Be thankful!

7. You have the potential to do anything you set your mind to.There are so many more resources and opportunities that we have the chance to take advantage of, especially in our generation. You live in a world of endless possibilities.

8. You can talk.You have the ability to speak. You can communicate with others and make a difference with your voice. How awesome is that?

9. You have the opportunity to get an educationI don’t know about you, but I am extremely thankful that I can go to school and learn. It is so easy to take the gift of education for granted. Think about how important education is and how fortunate you are to be getting one!

10. Someone loves youWhether it’s your mom, dad, brother, sister, cat, roommate, or just a friend, someone loves you for who you are and all that you do.

So the next time you’re feeling down or like you have nothing to be thankful for this season, remember to keep it simple & remember there is always something to be thankful for!

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.