This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Spring has arrived! During this season, the world is brought new beginnings and rejuvenation. It is a time of rebalancing. Typically, I often like to use Spring to reflect on my year and what I want to change. I wanted to focus on some bad habits that have affected my life in a negative manner. I decided to focus on the habits that affected my life the most. With these, I wanted to look into the negative factors of these habits and what I plan on doing to overcome them. So, here are 10 bad habits I plan on releasing myself from this spring!

Not Following Proper Skin-care Routines

If you know me, you know that my skincare routine is crucial. However, this has been lacking due to poor time management and simply not caring enough. With this, I have noticed changes in my skin that I haven’t seen in years. This ultimately has caused me to feel self-conscious about myself. I want to take more time to rededicate myself to my routine. This can be done with proper management and better dedication to my routines.

Not Putting Myself First

This spring, I want to put myself first. By breaking this habit, I don’t mean becoming selfish. I just want to do better by myself and my beliefs. In the past, I often found it hard to say “no” to people and end up getting stuck in situations that I did not want to be part of. Over time, this has affected my self-image greatly. This season, I hope to begin practicing better self-care as well as taking more breaks for myself. I also plan on voicing my opinions and utilizing the word ‘no’ more. 

Eliminating Procrastination

Due to procrastinating, I have had to pull many all-nighters in order to finish assignments and other tasks. At first, staying up late to do work didn’t bother me; but now I can see the toll it has been taking on my sleep and behavior. This has also led to my work being of poorer quality and seeming rushed. For me, this has been one of my hardest habits to break. With this, I hope to better structure my schedule as well as begin assignments ahead of time. 

Ordering Takeout Less

I want to limit ordering food from restaurants. Not only will this be cost-effective, but it also gives me a chance to try healthier options at the café. The cost of delivery adds up quickly and can quickly cause one to lose money. Additionally, by the time the food arrives, I could have eaten at the café. By eating at the café, I have a chance to socialize and not be stuck inside my dorm. I hope to begin this habit break by limiting my food ordering and going to the cafeteria more often. 

Stop Getting Comfortable

This spring, I want to stand up when things start getting too comfortable. I know it’s important to take breaks every once in a while, but I can occasionally get too settled. By doing this, I’m often missing out on opportunities that are passing by. When not taking a stand for myself, I am less likely to push myself. When this happens, I am no longer my biggest supporter and end up not caring about life. So, this season, I plan on not getting too comfortable with life.

Being Environmentally Conscious

This spring, I hope to be more environmentally conscious. With the drastic changes in the climate, I want to play my role in helping the environment. However, I haven’t been up to par. I find myself not recycling or reusing goods. I also have a bad habit of driving to different places on campus when I could have walked. This is a waste of gas along with pollution. One thing I’m happy about is being a vegetarian and maintaining this diet for nearly 5 years. While on campus, I plan on breaking this habit by utilizing recycle bins and reducing waste. I hope to

Having Proper Time Management

I want to follow a proper schedule and routine in order to optimize my time. In the past, poor time management skills have completely skewed my week and resulted in stress. I must admit, I am guilty of being one of those people that buy planners but rarely fills them. Proper time management is crucial as a college student and I have neglected that. This season, I plan on taking time out of my day to plan for the week. This will help with breaking habits such as procrastination.

Not Exercising Enough

Since being on campus, I haven’t been nearly as active in the gym. My excuse was that I got “exercise” by walking around campus. While walking is a valid form of exercise, it wasn’t close to my usual gym routine. Back home, I often found myself at the gym on a regular basis. On-campus, I have also begun driving everywhere instead of walking. When not getting enough exercise, I often found myself tired and feeling unhealthy. So, I hope to break this habit by frequenting the gym on campus or joining a local one nearby. 

Not Being Communicative 

In the past, my poor communication skills have cost me many things. Whether it be not responding to a text or responding by a certain deadline. Not only was this behavior irresponsible, but it also reflected on my character. This habit also includes being more open with my communication. I feel as though I often miss out on many conversations due to my shyness. I plan on breaking this habit by being responsive and open to others. With this, I hope to create new opportunities and relationships.

Being Pessimistic 

I wouldn’t call myself a pessimist, but I would be lying if I said that I don’t constantly see the glass as half empty. When having this mindset, I often find myself struggling to learn and listen to the world around me. This mindset has also led to many stress-filled days and created negative energy. When doing this, my days feel as though they are dragged on rather than alive and upbeat. I hope to break this habit by looking into the positive outcomes of situations. By keeping a positive attitude 

With this upcoming season, I hope to break these bad habits and welcome new, refreshing ones. By doing this, I hope to be happier and healthier. I hope to continue this trend over the years and encourage others to look into habits they want to break. By doing this, I believe you can make life more productive and open. I hope everyone’s Spring is filled with numerous blessings and new beginnings!

Madison Davis is a senior, Psychology major, Communications minor from Memphis, TN. She enjoys traveling, cooking, and playing with her dogs, Pyper and Jamocha! She's honored to share her experiences through her writing with the HerCampus community. Feel free to visit her Instagram page @maddyecamille!