This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

“When you go to Hamline events, it is your job to create the energy you want,” Molly reminded me as we got ready to go to Winter Wonderjam. Though I wasn’t really worried about this Hamline event because usually there are plenty of people who attend, filling Anderson with lots of fun and noise. Unfortunately, the turnout for most Hamline events is underwhelming, (unless it was a craft event where supplies were limited, in which case there are always too many people and too little supplies!), but my roommate Molly and I were forever up for anything that would get us out of the house and didn’t include copious amounts of drinking. Our lovely friend Kalli was along for tonight too, sharing our introversion and love for live music. But this year’s Wonderjam was different—they changed the location from the large and spacious Anderson to Kay Fredrick’s Room in Klas. I’d assumed this would deter people since it’s not as common a place to meet as Anderson, some might not even know where it is.

When we arrived, a little late, two people stopped us at the bottom of the stairs, warning us that there was “only like 15 people up there. Shit’s like elevator music.” We laughed and thanked them for their words of caution, but Molly knew that she loved Early Eyes, the opening band, and, while a little nervous about the small crowd, we went in. The room was covered in blue, everyone bathing in it, which was a good sign for me because I have a thing for the color blue. It was definitely smaller than Anderson, and much more intimate. But the combination of blue light and intimacy made for the perfect atmosphere. Early Eyes was far from elevator music; a local Minnesota group, their songs were beautiful, and you could see and feel their positive energy and fun they had while performing together. The main band was L.A. Salami, who is actually just one singer from London; he has multiple bandmates that perform with him depending on where he goes. They rushed passed us on the way to the stage, brushing our shoulders with English “excuse me’s” in between. Molly, Kalli and I smiled to each other “that was the band!” Little did we know we’d end up spending the whole night with them. They were amazing. L.A.’s music was full of philosophy, poetry and high energy.

After they were finished we grabbed our coats and headed towards the stairs, but ran into them on the way. Hesitantly, but with intention “You were so good!” Molly told them, and they asked if we were taking the “lift” (the English word for elevator). Soon it was just us and them, filling up the small space with introductions and how do you dos. They asked what we were doing for the rest of the night, and we told them we planned to go to an after party a little later. We ended up talking to them for a while outside as they smoked cigarettes, the night a frosty wonderland fit for this event. They had flown from London to Minnesota for just one night to play for 20 Hamline students, and were leaving early in the morning. We felt the need to make their time worthwhile and appreciated, so encouraged them to come to the party. We exchanged numbers and they said they would meet us there. I didn’t really know anyone at the party, and after being there for over an hour waiting for them to show up, we thought hope was lost. It was like a movie scene when they finally walked in, beers in hand. We danced, laughed, played beer pong, talked about life, and the drummer even played some music for us. “I’ve made it! America!” he proudly proclaimed, in a thick London accent. It was sad when the night was over, but they told us they’d be back in March to play First Avenue. When we got home, we couldn’t believe where this run of the mill Hamline event had taken us. We had created the energy we wanted, manifested it out of our dreams and received more than we ever thought possible.

So try not to discount Hamline events; make sure no matter what you do you don’t let other people’s perceptions or negativity affect your decisions. We could’ve turned away after that student told us it was a lost cause, but we saw for ourselves and found magic in the night. You never know the connections the universe has waiting for you.

Early Eyes rocking the stage at Winter Wonder Jam, Photo taken by Molly Ryan.

Kalli, Me, and Molly. The only picture we got together on this wonderfilled night.