This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

As the weather gets colder and harsher, it can be hard to match your style to the temperature. Coats and boots replace t-shirts and sandals, and suddenly your wardrobe changes. If you’re looking for some style ideas for this season that’ll keep you cute and cozy, look no further! Here are some of the current trends that can work regardless of your gender expression.

Black Leather Boots

Personally, I love my black boots, and I’ve seen more and more people wearing them on campus. Currently, combat or Doc Martens-esque boots are trending. They go with just about anything, and are the perfect mix of stylish and practical. For added weather protection, try using a waterproof shoe sealant to make them last longer. 

The Jadon Boot in black from Dr. Martens. For a cheaper alternative, try Target’s Adan Microsuede Lace Up Bootie.

Statement Coats

This winter is really the time to make a statement with your outerwear. Your coat is usually the first thing that people see, so you want it to be something that you’ll feel confident in for every occasion. Recent trends include wool coats, long coats, wrap coats, and coats in vibrant colors. Just remember to choose something that’ll keep you warm during a Minnesota winter.

DKNY Plaid Faux-Leather-Trim Walker Coat from Macy’s.

H&M Long Pile Coat in brown.

Colorful Sweaters

After already making a statement with your coat, try an eye-catching sweater to sweeten the deal. Think vibrant colors, lots of pattern, and usually oversized. Sweaters are easily found at secondhand stores if you’re looking to save a few bucks, and they don’t have to fit you perfectly to look good.

Color Block Crew Neck Sweater from American Eagle.

Mock Neck Oversized Sweater from American Eagle.

Plaid

Recently, plaid has become more popular, and I love that. It isn’t just reserved for shirts, sweaters or scarves anymore either, so bring out your stylish side by wearing plaid pants or a coat this season. Feel free to go as colorful or not as you’d like.

Dalton Pleated Mid-Rise Trouser Pant from Urban Outfitters

Tailored Plaid Coat from Zara.

Tonal Outfits

A few years ago this may have seemed like a fashion don’t, but monotone outfits are coming back into style. If you want to go down this route, try to stick with neutral or pastel colors in order to maintain an overall smooth look. Stitch Fix has a great article with some tonal outfit ideas here.

A tonal outfit from Stitch Fix’s “How to Wear Blue Tones.”

The images I have provided may be outside of your budget (I know they’re out of mine!), but I have seen plenty of these items at second hand clothing stores in the Twin Cities. Whatever you choose to wear this winter, you’ll rock it. Just remember to stay warm!

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University