Winter is Coming: Things to Look Forward to This Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Winter is Coming.

It really is. No Game of Thrones references here. Although the snowy season often gets a bad reputation from our fellow midwesterners, winter really is a great time of year. Many people in the world only dream of seeing snow, and we have it.

Here are some highlights of the fantastic winter things that we should appreciate this winter season:

Sweaters.

Yes, this must be mentioned first. Sweaters are so great. The best part of getting cold is warming up. There is no feeling like being in a giant, fuzzy, thick, warm blanket of wool. Then add the knit scarves, hats, mittens and boots—and it is basically like walking around wearing a blanket. Soooooo comfy. What is better than that?

Ice Skating.

This is one of my favorite winter activities because anyone can do it. I have learned over the years that you don’t have to be a pro. What makes ice skating the most fun is just doing it. You can’t be afraid to fall, can’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself. That is why it is so great. Find a nice cozy ice rink, put on your cute fuzzy winter gear and skate around with friends—often with Christmas lights, and a nice place to warm up by a fire and sip hot chocolate. My favorite place is Centennial Lakes Park in Edina. It’s free, not too far of a drive from the cities, with cheap ice skate rentals if you need them… and one of the most beautiful, festive places.

Lights!

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, you can’t deny the festive spirit that Christmas lights have. They just give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, especially during these cold winter days. It’s so great to have sparkly, rainbow colored lights to light up the darkness for us during these short winter days. Remember to take some time to slow down and really take in the beauty of nice lighting display the next time you see it.

Living in A Winter Wonderland

Snow is beautiful. There are people in the world who dream of what snow is, and we have it. Particularly after a fresh snowfall, next time you are driving or walking down the road, take the time to appreciate its brilliance: the way it sparkles, it’s pure color, the delicate way it dusts the tops of tree branches. It really is magical.

‘Tis The Season for Giving

It’s during the cold winter days when all of the warm in our lives shines the most. It reminds us to be reflective of all the good we have around us, and in turn, give some of that warmth back to those who need it most.

Regardless of which holiday you celebrate, the winter season has come to be a time to pay extra attention to those who are struggling around us, and offer our care. As a college student, set up a coat drive (or look into donating clothes that you don’t use), drop some change into the Salvation Army buckets next time you are walking out of a chopping center… everything matters, no matter how little. But the most important thing to know is that you don’t need to spend money to get in on this—simply give a present to those around you by being present. Give a warm smile to a classmate, say hi to someone as you are walking from one class to another, or call up an old friend to check in on them. Whatever you give, give with good meaning.

It’s easy to get caught up in our own little worlds, especially during this time of year as a college student. However, remember that this really is a great time of year. The greatest things in life are often the seemingly little ones, and remember to reflect on it. Good luck on these last few final days of the semester everyone!

Sabrina Majid

Hamline '19

Sabrina Majid is a senior at Hamline University studying Psychology. She is also a visual artist and photographer, with other life passions in fitness, philosophy/theology, self-care, and writing.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University