Why you should watch She-Ra & the Princesses of Power!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Some of my favorite TV shows from my childhood and adulthood have been animated. From their wild creativity to their inventive scenarios week after week, season after season, animated TV shows during my childhood, and possibly yours, have made big strides and cultural impacts in our lives, and even those of the future youth. One of my favorite new shows that just premiered last year and has already gotten me entranced and blown away is She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. 

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is an animated “reimagining” of the classic 1980s cartoon spinoff of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and premiered a year ago on Netflix.  She-Ra and the Princesses of Power updates the material of the original show for a more “modern” audience with different looks and takes on characters to appeal to wider and more distinct audiences. The show also features darker themes such as discussions of war strategy and so many different metaphors for sexuality and body positivity that listing them here could take awhile.  

The new take on She-Ra has of course come with its own “controversy” from hardcore fans (specifically male oriented He-Man fans) about the new direction and look of the series. Some fans have claimed that the new look and style of the show isn’t respecting the source material by making the titular character “sexy” and making the minor characters look and sound less appealing and fabulous. The entire point of the show, according to the creators, is to show She-Ra as a warrior of positivity and as a role model for children, not just for little girls. However, I feel that the new changes made to this show is the product of our world changing and evolving to a more positive playing field in terms of children’s entertainment.

With shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls and even more that appeal to both children and adults, children’s programming hasn’t shied away with telling stories that can convey adult messages such as identity and responsibilities. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power takes that next step in children’s programming unapologetically with characters that are multilayered not just for their gender, but sexuality as well. It’s simply amazing how this show doesn’t shy away from LGBTQ representation for its characters, and not giving complete logic to those reasons but simply being casual in their innovation. This show is only getting started on its innovation in its LGBTQ representation as in the fourth season (yes already a year into this show and it has four seasons, just how!?) with introducing a nonbinary character within its cast, voiced by non-binary activist Jacob Tobia. 

I cannot give any more praise without repeating myself as this show is truly one of a kind, even with the basis of the show pre-established. I think more people, not just children, should check this show out for its creativity, imagination and normalization of adult themes and sexuality among characters. The fourth season premiered just a few weeks ago on Netflix and if you’ve been searching for something to binge over Thanksgiving break, this is my recommendation for you!

I am a senior at Hamline University with a passion for writing and giving thoughts and ideas about things I'm most passionate about! Some of my favorite things are mostly pop culture and musical theatre (though haven't done a show professionally ever!). Always willing to push myself to be the best that I can be!
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University