sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What You Need In Your Get Away Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

As a college student it’s normal to feel like a nomad as you travel back and forth between home and campus. Sometimes it’s not even worth it to fully unpacking your duffel bag. Out of everything in your life, It can be hard remembering which  essentials you need most. Whether  you are going on a road trip for spring break or just heading home for the weekend, there are always a couple of things that should be in your getaway bag.

An extra pair of headphones always sitting in your bag has saved me on more than one occasion. More than once I’ve had my original pair break on me the day of my travel, or I’ve forgotten my headphones in the dorm. During these instances, the pair that is always in my getaway bag is right where I need it to be. Along these same lines, an extra charging cord is always handy. Of course, I never listen to my own advice and alway end up having to rush to a store for a charging cable because mine inadvertently breaks or I forget it the morning of traveling.  

A flashlight is always a must. I know that our phones have one, but more times than not my phone battery is low when I need a flashlight. Instances have occured when my phone has been charging in a room over and I want to read or get up and a flashlight has come in handy. 

An assortment of accessories should always be in your bag just so you’re ready for anything. A necklace to spruce up your outfit for surprised occasions. A watch so you can easily look at your wrist for the time instead of your phone while you’re driving. Sunglasses are the most important accessory to have. You never realize you need them until you do.

Toiletries. An assortment of toiletries should always be in your getaway bag. Extra clothes should also be in there. Socks, t-shirt. And if you’re really into preparing for anything, maybe some granola bars for emergency snacks, along with a water bottle. Even if you’re flying an empty water bottle that you can fill on the other end of security is important for your health according to one of our other articles, Tips To Get You Through A Plane Ride.

Your getaway bags can be your own. Everyone’s needs are different, but there are some essentials that you should always keep in mind before you travel and prepare your getaway bag.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.