This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

I know the many inches of snow in April looks deceiving, but Spring is on its way. And along with that comes so much more we can do; a whole new world: the outdoors! It’s been a while, so don’t hesitate to get reacquainted with our beautiful Earth. Be kind to it by giving it your time, love and care. Here are some ways to do just that.

1.Take a visit to one of the Twin Cities’ many lovely parks. Minnehaha Falls is located between the two downtowns, this park is so beautiful and very popular, so try to go on a weekday if you can to avoid crowds. Go on a bike ride, take a walk, or just find a spot to sit and enjoy. If you’re brave you can even venture behind the falls for an extra special view.

2. Only a couple miles from Hamline and right next to St. Thomas, Shadow Falls Park is one of my favorite places. This park has a great view of the Mississippi River, with cliffs to sit on and plenty of spots for bonfires. These falls are magical and so lovely, bring a hammock and your best friend. Be that yourself, your dog, or your favorite book. Senior Molly Ryan sitting in a hammock at Shadow Falls. Photo by Phoebe McGowan

3. Another one of my favorites, though a little farther away than Shadow Falls, Hidden Falls Regional Park is great for sitting right next to the river. The park houses amazing trees with big roots above the ground! They are so fun to sit in, make a fort and play with friends. There are also small waterfalls to wonder at. Photo Senior Molly Ryan at Shadow Falls. Photo by Phoebe McGowan    Photo by Phoebe McGowan, both taken at Hidden Falls Regional Park, while we ate Chinese food and watched the fire.

4. Go on a day trip. You don’t have to stay in St. Paul to enjoy the weather; take a day trip, by car or train, to a nearby town. (Northfield is so cute!) Explore and discover a new place with friends. Wear sundresses, pack a picnic and take pictures for a simply beautifully day to remember.

5. Play yard games. Last year I got my roommate a badminton set and we had so much fun playing in the yard with old and new friends! It was a great activity to suggest on a day where we were hanging out with new people; we connected over the struggles of assembling the net and then the silly competition of the game!

6. Start your morning outside. I love when you can walk outside in the morning and it’s not, you know, absolutely freezing! Take advantage of the warmth and greet it right away. Go on a walk or eat your cereal in your backyard. Start your day off fresh.

7. Join in on the CityWide Spring Cleanup on Apr. 21! Show our Earth some extra love and volunteer to help make our home healthy and beautiful. You can find more information, cleanup locations and how to register here.

Phoebe McGowan and Molly Ryan enjoying a sunset on a cliff at Shadow Falls. Photo courtesy of Hamline 2017 graduate Barbara Nickel.

Honestly, do everything outside! You can bring your homework, cards, magazines, books or music for a much needed change of scenery. Nature offers so many opportunities; be prepared on any adventure with a backpack, journal and some craft supplies for when you want to preserve a leaf, draw a new bug you found, glue in some flower petals, or write some poetry. Bring a polaroid camera and have fun with the light, color, and love spring gives us. It only comes once a year.

Married trees behind Old Maine, photo by Phoebe McGowan.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.