This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It’s the second month of the 2020 school year, homework is piling up, and you’re stressed out. There are many ways to manage your stress and anxiety so you can get through these tough years unscathed. Here are just a few that you can try next time you’re feeling a bit frazzled. 

1. Paint – Painting is a wonderful way to manage stress as it is a very calming activity. My preferred medium is watercolor, and if you are relatively new to painting I would suggest watercolor to be your go-to as well. They are relatively inexpensive and can be very customizable. Painting is wonderful for managing and relieving stress because it gives you something to focus on, yet is still enjoyable. Painting is one of my favorite stress relieving activities because it allows for creativity, whereas much of the work we do in school does not. For added stress relief, I often listen to classical music while I paint, as it emphasizes the calming effect.

2. Exercise – Exercise is beneficial for your overall health and well-being, but consistent exercise is also incredible for managing stress and can even ease feelings of depression and anxiety. Exercise releases endorphins, which end up making you feel good. Obviously with the current situation, it is a bit difficult for many people to get enough exercise, especially if you are like me and live in a dorm. That’s why I decided to turn to Youtube for some inspiration. There, I discovered Heather Robertson. Heather has amazing and easy to follow workout videos that will really get your blood pumping and leave you feeling fresh. Many of them don’t even require any equipment. (As with any other type of workout, consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise routine just to be on the safe side).

3. Meditate – There are many benefits of meditation including increasing patience and self-awareness, reducing negative emotions, and of course, learning how to manage stress. There are also many different types of meditation such as mindfulness meditation, guided meditation, mantra meditation (where you silently repeat a word or phrase of your choice to prevent distracting thoughts), and even yoga is considered to be meditation. At first, meditation can be a bit difficult, or you may not even know how to begin. Thankfully there’s an app for that! Actually, there are many apps to assist with meditation such as Headspace, Calm, Insight Timer, plus many more.

4. Gardening – “Gardening” may sound a bit daunting if you live in a dorm, but you can easily add some green to even the smallest of spaces. Just buying a little flower pot, some soil, and some seeds is perfect. Not only will it feel like you have a little buddy to keep you company, but it is also very rewarding to watch something you planted grow into a thriving plant. Some plants that do well in smaller pots or container gardens are pansies, aloe vera, string of pearls, and lucky bamboo. Succulents are also great if you would prefer a more low-maintenance yet still very beautiful plant. 

5. Curl up With a Good Book – Reading is a fantastic way to escape from reality when you just need to get away for a bit. Books are great for winding down before bed after you’ve had a long day at work or school. Not often do I find a book that I truly enjoy, but when I do, I find it extremely difficult to put that book down. Over the years, I have discovered that I am partial to Stephen King’s work. Some of my personal favorites of his are The Shining, The Mist, and Carrie. I enjoy these books specifically because they are captivating and keep you on the edge of your seat. Pro-tip: pair your book with a comfy blanket, some dim lighting, and a nice hot cup of coffee or apple cider for maximum coziness.

In short, you can easily manage stress if you make an effort to try something new. Everybody needs their own way of managing stress, and I hope this article gave you some new ideas.  Try one next time you’re really feeling the effects of school, work, or just life. It will perk you up every time.

Olivia Brandt

Hamline '20

Olivia is a recent graduate of Hamline University with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology as well as a minor in Public Health Science.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies