This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Lately, life has felt very different than what I was expecting it to be. At first it was slow–– rumors started, things started to get cancelled, and next thing I know I have been living at home for the last month. Sometimes it can be difficult finding things to do, but lucky for you, I have a solution. Cooking! I absolutely love to cook and bake all sorts of things and I am really excited to get to share some of my favorite things with you. I have included a few tips to get you inspired and I am going to share my top secret 5 minute mug brownie recipe!

1. Try making food from a different cuisine.

It is always fun to go out to eat, but with the recent times I have been missing my favorite restaurants. My favorite food has to be Indian food, so I tried making an Indian curry. Picking a food that you’ve never tried to make before can be a fun way to get you excited about cooking, and feel really proud when you can tell people you made something new!

1. Try a twist on a favorite!

Everyone loves a tried and true recipe, but why not switch it up? Take your favorite food to make and see if you can make it better by adding extra things or making it a different way. Take chocolate chip cookies for example, I sometimes add rosemary or even baking them in a muffin tin to make cookie dough muffins! Experimenting with something you know you love can make it even better. Might as well!

1. Cook for others.

Cooking has a special way of bringing us together, which is important now more than ever. Make people around you feel better by sharing your newly made food. If you’re making something, cook a double recipe and package it up to deliver to neighbors or workers you know. Getting a warm, home cooked meal can show people that you are thinking about them and appreciate their work. Make sure you’re being safe (wash your hands and make sure to wear a mask if delivering outside the home!)

1. Put on a themed dinner.

This could be whatever you want it to be! Maybe you decide to have an outdoor picnic in the backyard or a park. You could do a movie and meal thing where you made something from a movie and then watched when you were eating. For example, you could make spaghetti and watch Lady and the Tramp. Making one dinner a special event can feel special!

1. Make something easy and fun!

My favorite thing to make if I want a little treat is a mug brownie. These are super fast and are good for adjusting portions.

Mug Brownie!

Ingredients: 

½ cup flour

2 Tbsp brown sugar

2 Tbsp cocoa powder

1 tsp powdered cinnamon (optional)

1 capful of vanilla

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Water 

Directions:

1. Mix up dry ingredients in a small bowl.

2. Mix in oil and enough water for it to look like a batter.

3. Pour batter into a greased container. (It can be a mug or a small bowl.)

4. Microwave for 2 minutes or until the top is set.

****Careful! It will be very hot!!****

This recipe is really adjustable. Since it doesn’t have any eggs in it, you can try it to see if you want anything changed. Enjoy!

Hi! My name is Evelyn and I am studying psychology and sociology.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies