This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Two summers ago, a group of my friends and I got the opportunity to travel to Italy and Greece for an educational trip. There were six students and our advisor was our history and psychology teacher who we had all had classes with in the past. My dad came with us as a chaperone, as we were a small enough school for my friends to know him. We got to the airport and flew on two planes to get to Italy. It took a really long time! Upon arrival, we started to explore right away. From authentic pizza to museums to popular landmarks, our group tried to take in as much as possible. My favorite thing I saw was the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City. The entire building was intricately carved and painted with beautiful art. I also loved going to the Trevi Fountain in Rome. It was raining so hard that by the time we arrived, I looked like I had swum in it!

Hallway leading into the Sistine Chapel. (Vatican City) Photo taken by Evelyn Harrison.

The Trevi Fountain. Photo taken by Evelyn Harrison.

After spending time in Italy, we took a ferry that was much like a cruise ship to Greece. The theme on the ferry was Greek mythology. It felt like something out of a Percy Jackson book! I absolutely loved riding the boat overnight and during the day. Once we got to Greece, we took a bus and traveled to Delphi where there is a rich history of mythology and gods. It was interesting to hear stories about where we were and think about what it would be like to live there. My favorite thing that I saw in Greece was the Acropolis. Visiting the giant structure really put into perspective how big the city was and how difficult it was to truly build what we now know as ancient Greece. Generally, the culture in Greece is a lot slower than in the United States. It was interesting to see how people worked and lived since it was my first time leaving North America.

The Acropolis. Photo taken by Evelyn Harrison.

Overall, my experience on this trip is something I will never forget. Everyone there is so kind and has great pride in their country. I feel really lucky that I got to travel and learn about these cultures, as not everyone has the opportunity to do so. Witnessing all the history and beauty that these countries have to offer only makes me more excited to travel in the future. I would highly recommend Italy and Greece to anyone who wants a once in a lifetime adventure!

Hi! My name is Evelyn and I am studying psychology and sociology.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University