The Ultimate Halloween Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It seems as if everyone is prepared for Christmas and Holiday music, but what about Halloween? A good Halloween playlist can make any October party spook-tacular, and the best part is that there’s no definition of what counts as a Halloween song, so it’s all up to you. Here’s my pick of some scary and not-so-scary tunes:

“Monster Mash” By Bobby “Boris” Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers:

He did the Mash. He did the Monster Mash!

“Thriller” By Michael Jackson:

If you don’t know the dance to this, you need to.

“Night On Disco Mountain” By David Shire:

Disco Mountain is a more danceable take on the Mussorgsky and Bernstein classic.

“Ghostbusters” By Ray Parker, Jr.:

Maybe this song isn’t about Halloween, but it’s about ghosts, and ghosts equal Halloween. 

“Highway to Hell” By AC/DC:

This is my journey all year round, but October is a great time to sing about it.

“Spooky Scary Skeletons – Remix” By Dr Stiig:

You can tell from the title that this one is fit for Halloween.

“I Want Candy” By Bow Wow Wow:

Whether you’re a kid or not, we’re all kids at heart, and we want the candy.

“The Addams Family Main Theme” By Vic Mizzy:

Get together a bunch of friends who can snap, and before you know it you’re jamming.

“Time Warp” By Patricia Quinn, Richard O’Brien, Little Nell:

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is full of great songs, but this one is particularly easy to dance to.

“Psycho Suite” By Bernard Herrman

This is more scary and less fun, but it’s a good pick to set the mood.

“Heads Will Roll” By Yeah Yeah Yeahs:

If you see heads rolling around, something spooky is probably happening.

“Heathens” By Twenty One Pilots:

This is a great song to hype up you and your friends (who are heathens) before a costume party.

“This Is Halloween” By “The Nightmare Before Christmas” Cast:

Play this song on October 31 to remind others of the day, but also because it’s from an awesome movie.

“Kidnap The Sandy Claws” By Paul Reubens, Catherine O’Hara, Danny Elfman:

The kids who plan to kidnap Santa are obviously evil and have no idea who he is, but Halloween is all about evilness so it’s okay.

“Oogie Boogie’s Song” By Ed Ivory, Ken Page:

Oogie Boogie is the pure embodiment of the Halloween spirit. Listen to the song and you’ll see why.

“Haunted” By Evanescence:

I don’t know about everyone else, but haunting someone sounds pretty cool.

“Love Potion No.9” By The Clovers:

Really, this is a love song, but potions give me strong Halloween feelings, so it’s included.

Besides scary music, the best sounds of October are screams, wind rustling through leaves and the crinkling of candy wrappers, but music just makes everything better. Happy Halloween music listening!

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.