Ten Reasons to Love the Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Winter is oftentimes seen as the bleak and gloomy season, but there are so many reasons why  it’s actually the best. Ten reasons to be exact.

1. It’s sweater weather:

This also means that it’s sweatshirt, scarf and fuzzy socks weather. Winter clothes are so comfy compared to summer, and it’s now totally acceptable to wear oversized sweaters and shirts on a daily basis.

2. There’s snow:

Snow can be cold and wet, but when it falls it covers everything in a sparkly blanket. Snow turns the dead, cold part of fall into a beautiful and peaceful winter wonderland.

3. There’s winter break:

It’s the first long break of the semester for most students, which means many of us get to go home and relax. Depending on the college, this break could be anywhere from a week to a whole month (thanks Hamline). The beginning of the winter season reminds us that winter break is just that much closer.

4. There’s the holidays:

The transition to winter finally means that it’s less crazy to play Christmas music 24/7. Whatever holiday you celebrate in the next couple of months, there’s bound to be good food, good times with family and a decorative spirit that puts you in that sweet holiday mood.

5. There’s none of those flying things:

The bees are gone! Mosquitos are dead, spiders are (mostly) gone and you won’t have that stubborn fly that keeps finding its way into your house. Winter is a wonderful time where you can go outdoors and not be bothered by flying, buzzing or biting things.

6. Allergies are gone:

Winter has its fair share of illnesses like the flu, but the cold means those pesky spring/fall allergies are gone. There’s no pollen or bits of stuff that float around and make you sneeze. Somehow, the air feels cleaner and easier to breathe.

7. It’s cuddling season:

The cold gives us the perfect excuse to pile up the blankets and sit by the fire. This is a great season to search for a bae (or a dog) to cuddle with, or snuggle in for a movie night with friends.

8. There are the best drinks:

Sure, you could drink hot chocolate all-year-round, but winter is without doubt the best time. It’s also the season for eggnog, peppermint, gingerbread and chestnut inspired drinks.

9. Staying inside is easier:

You probably have heard someone say “Go outside and get some sun!” when they realize you’ve been sitting in the same spot for hours. But now that it’s cold and snowy outside, there’s no better excuse to stay inside and have a Netflix session.

10. People are just in a better mood:

If you think about it, you may realize that the holiday season is a really happy time. Everyone seems to be in a better mood, whether it’s because they’re excited to start skiing or snowboarding, to see family or to just be done with the semester.

Hopefully, you can see all of the wonderful things happening around you and realize that we have a great couple of months ahead of us.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.