This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Listening to the musical Something Rotten for the first time is something of an…experience. For those of you who don’t know the play, it tells the story of two brothers, Nick and Nigel Bottom, who are trying to write the next big hit. They visit a soothsayer who predicts the arrival of musicals and informs them of Shakespeare’s next big hit before it happens. Basically, it’s a big spoof of musicals and Shakespeare. There’s eggs. Lots of eggs. It’s hilarious, occasionally inappropriate oh so, so relatable and very, very confusing on the first listen. Without further ado, here’s the soundtrack with my running commentary. 

“Welcome To The Renaissance”

This is definitely going to be a musical that gets stuck in my head, and I am completely okay with this. 

“God, I Hate Shakespeare”

This entire song is about hating Shakespeare. Why is this so relatable? 

“Right Hand Man”

You go girl, tell your husband to stop being a sexist pig. “I am stronger than you think.” Yaas, queen. Preach.

“God, I Hate Shakespeare (reprise)”

Wow, you really had to put the downer in hating Shakespeare, didn’t you. You could have left it at “I hate Shakespeare,” but no, you had to go and bring in the “I mostly hate the way he makes me feel about me.” Sure, he’s successful, but don’t make him feel bad about yourself, Nick. 

“A Musical”

This song is that friend who believes they can act out absolutely everything, regardless of how many characters and overlapping lyrics are in the song. Oh, wait. That’s me. This song is an accurate description of me. Also, I wish I could rip on this many musicals and get paid to do it. 

“The Black Death”

I never thought I would be entertained by a song about the Black Death… but it’s the Black Death, the Black Death, Woo! Why is this song so catchy? 

“I Love the Way”

“Wait, that didn’t sound right.” Did you mean everything I say in my life? There are so many innuendos, but they’re so cute, and I want them to be happy. 

“Will Power”

This is that one friend who never shuts about about their work, regardless of their talent. 

“Bottom’s Gonna Be On Top”

That feeling when you get that really good idea that’s going to change your entire life. That’s this song. It’s also really catchy and a pretty solid act one finale. It’s not Wicked, but it’s still good. 

“Welcome To The Renaissance (Reprise)”

“Nick and Nigel Bottom are beginning to sweat because they don’t have a story written yet.” Please stop reminding me of the work that I need to do. 

“Hard To Be the Bard”

“And you’re trying to find an opening line/ Or a brilliant idea and you’re pacing the floor/ And hoping for just a bit of divine intervention/ That one little nugget, that one little spark/ Then Eureka! You find it, you’re ready to start/ So now you can write, right? Wrong!/ You’re not even close, you remember that damn it, Your play’s gotta be in iambic pentameter/ So you write down a word but it’s not the right word/ So you try a new word but you hate the new word/ And you need a good word but you can’t find the word/ Oh where is it, what is it, what is it, where is it?/ Blah-blah-blah, ha ha, ah-ha -UGHHHHHHHH!”

All I can say is, why is this so relatable? 

“It’s Eggs!”

Did I seriously just listen to a barbershop quartet singing about eggs? Why yes, I did. Nothing makes sense but I don’t care, I love it. 

“We See the Light”

This is basically the equivalent of acting out an entire scene by yourself. Bonus points if there’s tap dancing. 

“To Thine Own Self”

“I am reading, and where’s the Omelette?” Nick, why are you so obsessed with Eggs? But for a banter between two writers, this is completely valid. 

“Right Hand Man (Reprise)”

Keep being a strong woman, Bea, don’t let anyone stop you. Also, all the feels. 

“Something Rotten!/ Make an Omelet”

Okay, I finally understand this is a spoof on Hamlet. Everything makes so much sense now. I now know what to do when someone hands me a bunch of eggs. Hint: you make an omelette. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to make one, they tell you. 

“To Thine Own Self (Reprise)”

Ahh, this song is so cute! You’re learning, Nick, and I’m so proud of you. Just don’t screw it up now.

“Finale”

I swear, this catchy tune is going to be the death of me, but I love it so much. Nick and Nigel, never stop doing you. 

And that’s the musical.  I have no idea if this was entertaining for you all to read, but it was incredibly fun to do. So remember, the next time someone gives you eggs, make an omelette.

Lauren Stretar is a student at Hamline University studying creative writing and sociology. She has two poems published.
Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.