samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Rise And Fall Of A Semester: Explained by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Semesters can seem like a rollercoaster. A year-round high and low of new classes, midterms and finals. No one can explain this ride better than the team of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. 

The high before classes:

That first couple of days when you see your roomate(s) after the long break can be exhilarating. Filled with stories about what you did during your time apart, what classes you have for that semester and future plans. With no work yet, and nothing but time to prepare for the semester and hang with friends, the world is your oyster.  

The start of classes:

With your brain coming back from break fresh and ready to take in new and exciting information, the beginning of a semester can seem bright and hopeful. That is, until the professor starts handing out the syllabus. 

The first big project:

Just when you think you understand everything and you’re ahead on all your work, all of your professors assign big projects all at the same time. Papers come in, large books must be read, PowerPoint must be made and that quiz you forgot about must be studied for. But don’t worry, you’ll nail it and you’ll think you’re doing fine and surviving until…

Midterms:

You are running on stress, fear of failing and caffeine. Your brain has stopped working about an hour of studying prior. Midterms sneak up on the best of us no matter what year you’re in, but don’t worry you will emerge with the wit of Gina.   

Planning for the next semester:

Just when midterms start to settle down and you get onto a solid sleeping schedule again, the stress of picking classes and deciding where you’re going to live next semester starts. Especially if you are a First-Year, picking classes can take luck, a complex spreadsheet and feeling like your head is cut off. This feeling is duplicated every spring when those who are trying to live on campus or even off are trying to find roommates and get the dorm they want. Only delicate planning will get you through this time and a whole lot of luck.

Events:

The mayhem of the semester is almost over and there’s a calm in the great heaving sea that is college. This means events. The time before finals campus has many events up and going. So grab some friends, do as much as possible and just detox before finals come your way.  

Finals:

This will make or break you, a time of scrambling and screaming. Your brain will feel like it’s going to explode. You’ve studied all you can, but don’t worry. What will be will be and no matter what you can only do the best you can.

Once all of these highs and lows are over you can rest easily. You’ll have a nice long break before all of this starts all over again with new and amazing classes.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.