The Positive Impact of Self Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

As we transition into the colder months of the year and the last stretch of the first semester, a happy mood can be hard to come by. There’s less daylight, more cold and piles of work to do. Whenever a good day seems impossible, I remember a concept that my cross country coach talked about. Now, I know what you’re thinking. How could some running technique fix my bad mood? But it’s not just some running technique: it’s positive self talk.

You may think that you can’t change your thinking, but over time, the voice in your head can alter your thinking patterns. So what is it exactly? Positive self talk is the practice of speaking kind and uplifting messages to yourself to reaffirm you of your capabilities and importance. It reminds you that you matter, you are enough. It boosts self confidence and gives you intention and purpose. What you tell yourself becomes the reality you live in. Why wouldn’t you want to connect yourself with the positive things you want in life?

So what does it look like? Either out loud or in your head, tell yourself positive and affirmative phrases. To start out, you could try writing a couple of the phrases on sticky notes to put on your laptop or mirror so you glance at them often. Try these suggested phrases from mindbodygreen, or even tailor some to fit your current situation. I will work hard and focus today. I can do well on this test. I am capable of producing my own happiness, despite the gloomy weather.

Back in cross country, my coach’s talk focused mainly on encouraging ourselves during races. I remember repeating “I can do this” over and over in my head during the last mile of a race. And then I started to apply it to my everyday life. It made me happier, more productive, more optimistic, and kind to myself and others. The bottom line is: the way you speak to yourself dictates your mood and your outlook on life in general. If your inner monologue is dragging you down with negativity, chances are that bad mood isn’t going to change. However, if you become your own cheerleader, your confidence and positivity will increase. Positive self talk can give you the affirmation you need to get that paper done or the optimism to find joy in the cold months.

Speak kindly to yourself.

Emma Harrington is a first year at Hamline University studying English and Creative Writing. Besides writing, she enjoys singing in the A Capella Choir, dancing, running, and being outdoors.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University