This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Podcasts have become huge in the past couple of years. They make workouts, commutes, and household chores a little more enjoyable, which is something we can all appreciate. When podcasts first started to gain traction I didn’t think I’d enjoy them. I get distracted easily and thought that I wouldn’t be able to pay attention to them. But they were in the back of my mind, a reminder of a social trend that I was missing out on (FOMO really sucks, doesn’t it?).

Recently, I went through a breakup. It was incredibly emotional and, for a while, it was hard to engage in anything that I typically did. I knew that I needed to try something new, something that would pique my interest and, hopefully, get me back on track. And that something new was a podcast about relationships.

The podcast Just Break Up is an incredibly insightful, emotional, and heartwarming podcast created by two friends who wanted to help the “broken-hearted souls” that write to them. Hosts Sam Blackwell and Sierra DeMulder, birthday-sharing Gemini best friends, release weekly episodes, responding to letters and questions about love which they get from their listeners. 

There are two main reasons why I love this podcast so much. The first is because when Sam and Sierra respond to their letters, it’s not scripted; it’s the two of them having a genuine, emotionally vulnerable, and honest conversation. The topics they talk about touch on every aspect of relationships: mental health, romantic relationships, boundaries, family, sex, friends, desires, breakups, and anything else associated. 

The second reason I love this podcast: the language they use. Sam and Sierra use such accessible language that it’s hard to not understand what they’re saying. When they use terms that have a jargon-feel to them, they define it. It’s easy to see yourself using the same exact words they use when advocating for your own needs and boundaries in a relationship. 

Their language is also incredibly affirming. They are always kind and empathetic with every letter they read and respond to. They also end every letter by telling the writer, “[Name], we love you.” The two make you feel like you’re their close friend, sitting right there with them (and they’d add in going out for brunch and drinking mimosas – just listen to a few episodes and it’s bound to come up). 

Listening to Sam and Sierra on the podcast is more than just a typical podcast. You’re literally listening to two best friends talk. They’re funny and quippy, and occasionally will bring up jokes that only the two of them will understand (which I find endearing – who doesn’t love watching two best friends interact?). 

You can listen to them on Spotify, iTunes, and their website, linked here.

Ally Gall

Hamline '21

I study creative writing and sociology at Hamline University. Lover of puzzles, books, being outdoors, cooking, and coffee.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies