This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Palmistry is one of those strange, liminal things that most people are aware of, but precious few people actually understand. It’s similar to astrology in that it’s mostly a wacky pseudoscience in which no stock should be put, but is, if nothing else, ridiculously fun. 

We tend to associate palm readings with dimly lit, smoky tents, and strange old eastern European women; mystical and distant. The truth is, palmistry is remarkably easy to understand.

My goal in this article is to give you a (very) brief overview on the meanings of some of the more important aspects of palistry. Once again I want to reiterate that you should NOT put any stock in this. The lines in your hands are the result of genetic variation. They don’t tell you who you are. That’s your job.

That being said, here is a brief synopsis of some of the major lines on the palm, and their meanings.

The Heart Line

There are three main lines on the palm; Heart, Head, and Life. One could equate them to the three aspects of Plato’s tripartite soul; spiritual, rational, and appetitive respectively.The Heart Line is the topmost of the three deep creases running across your palm. It concerns your emotions, spirit, and internal essence. A deep Heart Line indicates a deeply spiritual existence rooted in the soul. A Heart Line ending anywhere behind the index finger can signify restlessness, particularly in relationships.

The Head Line

The Head Line concerns matters of the mind. It determines the degree with which your rational, logical mind controls your decisions. A deep Head Line can indicate a well-planned, down to earth existence. 

The Life Line

The Life Line does not indicate lifespan! I don’t know which schoolyard rapscallion brought that idea into fruition, but I resent their ever being born. When reading someone’s palm, or telling anyone about anything vaguely supernatural or divinitory, never tell someone how long they will live. Remember when I said not to take any of this nonsense seriously? Well, some people do, and that sort of information can lead to dangerous decisions. Anyways, the Life Line concerts vitality, and the vigor and enthusiasm with which you pursue goals in life. There are many small, important features. For example, a small branch near the top can indicate diligence, and a thirst for knowledge.

The Fate Line

The Fate Line runs vertical, roughly parallel to the lifeline. It’s usually not very deep, but always visible. If it bisects both the Head and Heart Line, it can be said that an individual is controlled by deterministic forces beyond their control in both mind and spirit, whereas if it only bisects the head line, a person’s soul intentions are the controlling factor in their life.

The Sun Line

I don’t like using the Sun Line when giving reading because it’s kind of difficult to understand. Most sources say that it represents the depth of success and fulfillment in a person’s life, but I’ve also heard that it has strong associations with luck. Regardless of what it means, it runs parallel to the Fate Line, but farther away from the thumb.

The Girdle of Venus

The Girdle of Venus is my favorite line on the palm. It’s a bow shaped line that runs from below the edge of the middle finger to below the edge of the ring finger. The Girdle of Venus (as the name would suggest) represents sensuality and romance. You can tell all sorts of things about someones sex life based on how deep or long it is (pun intended). 

Keeping in mind that everything you say to someone while giving them a reading is nonsense that you’re making up on the spot, the most important thing to remember is that you’re trying to make them feel good. Sure, you can nitpick and tease them for little things, but in general, they should walk away feeling better about themselves as a person. Divinatory practices, as long as they aren’t going to be accurate, ought to be wholesome instead. 

Hopefully this article has given you the confidence you need to give palmistry a try. I don’t personally recommend touching anyone’s palms at this point in time, but if we ever get out of this mess, you’ll be prepared.

Will Nelson

Hamline '23

I'm an Environmental Studies major at Hamline University. I say bagel with a hard a. No, I haven't read Twilight yet, and at this point I probably won't get around to it. I look like Angel from Cheetah Girls 2, dress like a hobbit, and act like Milo Thatch from Atlantis.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies