element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Open These Gifts BEFORE You Give Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It might seem counterintuitive, but in the realm of beauty gift sets, there’s lot of sets that work great busted apart and organized into multiple, more varied gifts. For all your beauty-obsessed friends, buying a few gift sets and splitting them into cute little gift sets can give everyone a bit more variety and save you money on value kits!

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Mini Macaron Set – $40

This set comes with four miniature highlights, putting them each at $10 once they are split up. Opal is a neutral gold shade, Vanilla Quartz is a light gold with a pink reflect, Rose Quartz is a pale pink with gold pearl and Prismatic Amethyst is a lavender hue.

Put Opal (or Vanilla Quartz) in the pile for your deepest toned friend. For your friend who likes rosy cheeks and wears blush mosts days, gift Rose Quartz. Then, for the most adventurous one, gift Prismatic Amethyst. Opal is the most popular of these shades, so avoid giving that one to the friend with the most makeup as they might already have the cult-favorite shade.

These highlights are lovely and splitting them up to match each friend’s skin tone and makeup style best will make a more thought-out gift anyways.

Stila With Flying Colors Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Set – $39

This set comes with six miniature lipsticks, so it can be split between more friends, allow you to double up, or gift you a pass to snag something for yourself in all this shopping. The set has Fia, Baci, Patina, Fiery, Rubino, and Vino with colors ranging from a soft nude to a deep oxblood red.

Do your best to award the right colors to each friend depending on what they wear the most. Give the most natural girl either Patina, Fia or Baci while your Christmas-obsessed friend would love Rubino for a classic red lip on the holiday. For the vampiest one in the pack, save Vino as it’s a deep, impactful color that might scare the tamer away. These lipsticks are thin and smooth and have a good staying power on the lips, plus the miniature size is perfect for traveling around in a purse!

BITE Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick Set – $25

To keep this a bit more budget friendly when making gifts for four or less friends, the Bite Beauty lipstick set might be a better option than Stila’s while also offering classic lipsticks rather than liquid mattes which are more drying (and some people don’t like that).

This set features four miniature bullet lipsticks in Sake, Nori, Tannin and Date. The colors range from a soft mauve to a deep red, so split them up according to everyone’s tastes. Sake will be good for the more natural, simplest makeup guru while Nori is good for the vampy, adventurous one.

Beauty Blender Sweet Indulgence Set – $69

What better for the beauty obsessed than a fresh, clean beauty blender? These blending sponges are iconic for creating a smooth foundation base or applying face products from blush to contour. This set features four fun-colored blending sponges and four miniature solid cleansers to keep them fresh.

Split them up by everyone’s favorite hue and you’ll give them an excuse to throw out their old one which has surely been in rotation too long.

If you’re making four individual gifts this way, you can get four gifts for $134 (or $148 with Stila’s set instead of BITE’s) total, putting each gift a little above $30, not bad for gifting high-quality, big-impact brand names and capturing a few different beauty staples.

However, as many of these gift sets come with miniatures and, while expensive and high-quality, they look a bit teeny, take some care when re-packaging these for gifting to get maximum impact. I’d suggest a tiny stocking stuffed with cute, little makeup to capture the cuteness of smaller sizes. Plus, for any collector of makeup, a mini is never a bad thing as it takes up less space with maximum variety!

Franki Hanke, or Francheska Crawford Hanke for long, is a student at Hamline University in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in English with a Professional Rhetoric focus and Digital Media Arts. She writes weekly for The Oracle (as a senior reporter) and Hamline Lit Link (as managing staff). Her work has also appeared in Why We Ink (Wise Ink Publishing, 2015), Piper Realism, The Drabble (2017), Canvas (2017), Oakwood Literary Magazine (2017), and South Dakota Magazine.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University