This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Netflix has so many shows it can be easy to miss some real gems, especially in crime where so many storylines are all alike and they are pumped out all the time. As a personal addict for spooky, dark, and mysterious shows, I’ve cranked through plenty on Netflix and plenty that didn’t end up being worth the time (or I didn’t make it through a full season), but here’s some you shouldn’t miss if you’re a crime junkie, but ones that might not show up in your suggestions.

Broadchurch

With Doctor Who’s David Tennant as a key actor, this British television show is a gripping, emotional crime drama about the chaos when a shocking crime happens in a small community. The show has over eight stars on IMDB, and has won over twenty awards.

The first season is undeniably the best of them, but it’s addicting enough to keep watching into the next seasons, plus Tennant’s performance is wondrous throughout his performance as an agitated, tormented detective.

Marcella

Another British television show that is knocking it out of the park for the unique twist on a more standard crime plot. The show dips to a 7.5 on IMDB, but I personally enjoyed the tale of Marcella Blackland who leaves the police force for her family, but is then called back when a unique murder is stumping the task force.

As she begins investigating, the crime is eerily familiar and starts raising the question of if Marcella herself could have committed these crimes?

The show is a slight deviation from the typical crime tale and is underappreciated in the cluttered Netflix offerings.  

Dark

This one is both in German and incredibly confusingly dense, so it takes a toll on the mind, but if it grips you it’s worth every second of subtitles. The show has over eight stars on IMDB, so clearly I’m not the only one who thinks it’s great.

The show is moody, dark, and supernatural as the disappearance of two children start to revealing the secret of four families throughout this town. Cinematically, it’s beautiful; plot-wise it’s twisting and deep, but fascinatingly unique.

Money Heist – La Casa de Papel

My personal favorite on this list, this Spanish television drama requires subtitles again, but is well worth the investment. The show is perfect for fans of Sherlock who love the psychological, genius aspect to a thought-out crime. The show is nearing a nine on IMDB— which is so surprise.

The show follows a group of robbers who attempt to rob the Factory of Moneda and Timbre (the mint of Spain) to carry out the perfect robbery without taking any money, instead by printing it themselves.

The show is complex and emotional and the characters are superb.

These shows are all underappreciated, but they deserve so much more praise— especially Broadchurch and Money Heist, if I had to pick. If you need a new show to binge, pick any of these, but clear your schedule first because you’re gonna be hooked.

Franki Hanke, or Francheska Crawford Hanke for long, is a student at Hamline University in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in English with a Professional Rhetoric focus and Digital Media Arts. She writes weekly for The Oracle (as a senior reporter) and Hamline Lit Link (as managing staff). Her work has also appeared in Why We Ink (Wise Ink Publishing, 2015), Piper Realism, The Drabble (2017), Canvas (2017), Oakwood Literary Magazine (2017), and South Dakota Magazine.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University