This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Well folks, the time is here. It’s time for Halloween. It’s the time when it feels right to watch Hocus Pocus with a glass of warm apple cider or a bowl of hot apple crisp. Then, when the sun goes down, you can watch the movies that make you jump. Here are some of my favorite Halloween movies that are sure to get you into the Halloween spirit. 

*Bold titles are my personal favorite that are 10/10* 

The Classics: The ones that have cemented a place in our hearts until the end

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Spook level: 1/10

Possibly the best Halloween movie for Gen-Z’s. Hide your kids, the Sanderson sisters are ready to run amuck in this low spook classic. If you didn’t watch this when you were younger, did you really have a childhood?

Black Christmas (1974)

Spooks: 3/10

This is considered one of the first slasher movies ever! So, if you love Freddy, Jason or Mike, you have to watch the one that helped pave the way. Black Christmas follows a sorority being stalked by a deranged killer. It’s one of my personal favorites and I highly recommended! There are two reboots, one from 2006 and another coming this fall! 

Friday The 13th (1980)

Spooks: 1/10

One of the most recognizable villains in horror history starts off with the 1980 origin story of Jason Vorhees. While it may have been terrifying when it was released, like The Exorcist, modern times has made it lose it’s scariness. The cheesy graphics and gore make for a slightly comedic watch, but true horror fans love it regardless. If you’re into horror, can you really say you’re a fan if you haven’t watched this movie?

Other cult classics: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1971), Halloween (1978), Scream (1996), Carrie (1976), It (1990), It (2017) Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Child’s Play (1988), Children of the Corn (1984)

The Gory: Blood and guts for dayyyyyys​

The entire Saw series (2004-2010)

Spooks: 2/10 (unless you hate gore, then 10/10) 

I think it would be illegal to not put this on this list? The entire franchise should’ve traumatised me but it didn’t. While there isn’t much spooky scary to these movies, there is enough blood and guts to last a lifetime! The plot in the first movie is especially tantalizing, with one of the best twists in horror history.  The 2017 reboot Jigsaw has another great plot twist almost as good as the first one, although it does have some big plot holes that hopefully will be explained in the 2020 sequel. 

Hostel (2006) 

Spooks: Due to the gore I would say 8/10 if you’re not squeamish 2/10

I’ve never seen this movie in its entirety, not because it was too disturbing, but because I probably wasn’t supposed to be watching it when I was 8. It didn’t scare me then and probably wouldn’t scare me now. If you’re not into gore this is terifying and torture, but if you can handle saw you’ll most likely be able to handle this one! DISCLAIMER: DO NOT WATCH BEFORE TRAVELING! 

The Human Centipede trilogy (2009-2015)

Spooks: 8/10

There are no jump scares, not monster hiding behind the door, and no possessed inanimate object. This film could have you feeling sick to your stomach for the rest of your life. Especially the second film which is an almost 4th wall breaking movie. Although, by the time the third one arrived it had lost it’s fascination. I guess I recommend this if you’re not afraid of disturbing medical horror. 

The Psychological Thriller: The ones that will probably having you googling “ending explained” 

The Shining (1980) 

Spooks: 5/10 

Possibly one of Halloween’s most favorite movies ever, this movie is sure to give you the unsettling feeling. It may also confuse the heck out of your brain! No crazy jump scares except for one of the most iconic scenes and line in cinematic history, it won’t make your heart race but will definitely leave you feeling uneasy. 

Black Swan (2010) 

Spooks: 1/10 

Less scary and more dark and intriguing! If you’re into a little bit of edginess and less horror this movie is perfect! I highly recommend for a casual Halloween fun! To this day I still don’t understand the entire concept, so I would say it did its job. 

The Babadook (2014)

Spooks: 7/10

While this may get your heart rate up, this movie is mostly a psychological thriller.  A mother and her child and the woes of being a parent. Very good watch, but I do have to say I did have to read what the heck the movie meant. 

The Supernatural: Ghosts, possessions, and aliens, oh my!

Sinister (2012) 

Spooks: 6/10

Possibly one of my personal favorite horror movies of all time. This movie follows an author who does all the right things for his family that turned out to be the worst decisions ever. The first watch is scary, especially with the lights off! It’s not the scariest movie ever, but it does a good job!

Alien (1979) 

Spooks: NA

Technically I’ve never seen this movie before, but like many of the movies on this list, it’s an iconic film. With possibly the best and most organic jump scares in history. It should be a great one for all of you who love the unknown. 

The Conjuring series (2013-present) 

Spooks: 7/10

One of the best modern horror series follows the real life stories of Ed and Lorraine Warren. Their own stories may have turned out to be highly exaggerated, the movies are perfect for horror lovers. Their spin offs are just as successful but not as good as the originals. 10/10 would recommend. 

Poltergeist (1982)

Spooks: NA

Another iconic horror movie I haven’t seen yet. This movie follows a family trying to get their daughter back from a vicious ghost. The movie contains a major haunting theme as well as another iconic line “they’re here..” The movie is said to be one of the scariest movies of all time with one of the scariest scenes in horror history. Whether these titles still hold up in 2019 is up to you to decide. Not only is the movie itself scary, but the real life curse following the movie may be even scarier. 

More supernatural favorites: The Exorcist (1973), Paranormal Activity (2007), The Ring (2002), The Grudge (2004), Insidious (2010)

Cult Childhood Throwbacks: Zero spook but all the love in the world

Halloweentown 1-3 (the fourth movie does not exist)

Spooks: 0/10

The best Halloween series from our childhoods ever. These iconic movies bring back the best memories from when we were little. As cheesy as they may be, they’re some of the most satisfying movies to re-watch. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) 

Spooks: 0/10

Is it controversial to put this movie on a Halloween list? This holiday hybrid is one of the best feel good movies you can watch! It’s another one of those, “Is it really Halloween without this?”

Phantom of the Megaplex (2000)

Spooks: 0/10

Now this is a throwback, this was one of my favorite movies ever when I was younger. If you really want to throw it back this one is a must!

Twitches (2005) 

Spooks: 0/10

Twin witches!! Need I say more? 

Throwback hall of fame: Don’t Look Under the Bed (1999), Spooky Buddies (2011), 

Are any of these your favorites? Make sure to keep the lights off when you watch these movies to get your heart rate up! Happy watching! 

Jo Schmidt

Hamline '21

Just a Marvel nerd trying to survive out there.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University