Most Popular Buildings on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Old Main standing tall in the fall. Photo by Anna Heckmann

Hamline’s campus gives off a very modern and up-to-date vibe. The University strives to  update its buildings and facilities regularly to fulfill its student’s desires. New buildings like the Anderson Center and updates to Sorin Hall tend to be appreciated by students who spend their time on campus, but which buildings are favored by students?  

Many students love the Anderson Center. It is one of the largest and most advanced buildings on campus and one of the favorites amongst students. 

“I like Anderson because it’s the newest and there’s food” first-year Taylor Just said.

We all love Anderson’s food! Well most of us, but there is no denying its welcoming atmosphere and innovative makeup. Sophomore Heather Moore also enjoys spending time there.

“I spend a lot of time in between classes at Anderson, I like Starbucks and the social aspect of it,” said Moore.

In addition to the  great coffee at Starbucks, Anderson is a great place to study and hold events, making it the ideal on-campus hangout place for students.

The social aspect might also push students to other buildings on campus when they want to be in a more relaxed environment. If Anderson gets too rowdy, first-year Cullen Buck likes to go to Bush Library. 

“I can get more work done and focus in a place that is quieter than somewhere like my dorm,” Buck said.

The library is the perfect place for that dedicated student inside us all.

When students finish their homework they may enjoy a short walk to Hutton Arena to watch one of Hamline’s many sports teams.

“Hutton is probably my favorite because I play basketball and I love gameday at home. I can also go there and watch other sporting events.” Moore said.

Hutton Arena’s old school style makes for a fun facility that students like to go to watch and play sports. For the most part, students love the on-campus feel and facilities here at Hamline, but some do more than others.

“The facilities here are generally adequate. My favorite are Robbins and Drew Science,” senior Elijah Hansen said. “But If I had one criticism, in general I would like to see a bigger emphasis on business and science facilities.”

Hansen is an Exercise Science major, so it makes sense his favorite buildings are where he takes his classes and works towards his major. However, Hansen suggests more students may benefit if the University put a greater focus on some of the most popular majors such as Business and Science, and their respected facilities.

Hamline students value the time and investments that the University continues to put towards keeping the campus up to date. Many students attending Hamline consider the campus their home. That is why it’s important for the University to continue catering to students wants and needs. A quality campus is the base that has created the successful and satisfied students here at Hamline.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.