Mark Your Calendars: Tuesday is for Music and Munchies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Accessible with a ride on the A Line bus to either the Green or Blue line of the transit system, The Commons is a park sitting at the base of the iconic US Bank stadium in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. On Tuesday nights, including the upcoming evening of September 25th, the space hosts community events free of charge.

This upcoming Tuesday, it’ll be an evening of music and food starting with the Mill City Farmers Market that features over 20 local farmers and makers selling prepared foods and ingredients (rain or shine!). While the weather will still be nice, it might be a good opportunity to grab some food and spread out a blanket.

With shopping done, there’s four acres of green space for picnics or provided lawns games like bag toss and kubb to pass the time until 6:00pm when the Minnesota Orchestra is offering a free show by Music Director Osmo Vänskä with a selection of classical and popular pieces. The free orchestral show has been popular since it first started back in September of last year when 3,700 people showed up to listen.

For those of age and so inclined, the event is a bring-your-own alcohol event, meaning you’re allowed to bring your beverages of choice into the park for the show. It won’t be sold there so pack your rosé, a blanket, and your dollar bills, buy your dinner from a food truck and enjoy a free show.

If you can’t make it to a Tuesday night event but still like the idea of shopping closer to the source and supporting local farmers and makers, the Northeast Farmers Market is another opportunity upcoming on Saturday, September 29th. This market sets up in the parking lot of St. Boniface Catholic Church from 9:00 to 1:00 with produce, coffee, honey, pre-prepared foods, baked goods, meat, eggs, and some non-food jewelry and art. Usually, live music and food trucks end up happening too.

he Commons is located at East Block, 425 Portland Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA. More updates can be found via the event page on Facebook or their website. For those taking the light rail, exit on the US Bank Stadium stop and you’ll be within a block from the park! Otherwise, find parking at a meter or on 4th street where there’s ramp parking.

Franki Hanke, or Francheska Crawford Hanke for long, is a student at Hamline University in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in English with a Professional Rhetoric focus and Digital Media Arts. She writes weekly for The Oracle (as a senior reporter) and Hamline Lit Link (as managing staff). Her work has also appeared in Why We Ink (Wise Ink Publishing, 2015), Piper Realism, The Drabble (2017), Canvas (2017), Oakwood Literary Magazine (2017), and South Dakota Magazine.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University