It’s More Than Just Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

With the month of October drawing to a close, the autumn season is progressing nicely here in the Twin Cities, and especially on the Hamline campus. The air is crisp and heavy with the scent of log fires and pumpkin spice, nipping at the fingers and noses of students and staff alike. The many trees on campus now sport beautifully burnished leaves that delicately fall to the ground with the slightest gust of air and the campus wildlife (chiefly squirrels and rabbits) are steadily plumping up in anticipation of the long  and chilly Minnesota winter.

However, with the seasonal changes and coming of winter, students and staff should be aware of the increased likelihood of experiencing Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD is a syndrome that includes bouts of episodic symptoms that occur during the colder and darker days of autumn and winter followed by a remission in the summer and spring. For some individuals, the symptoms of SAD can be distressing but manageable with only minor functionality impairment. But for others suffering from SAD, the symptoms can be quite severe and disabling. Closely resembling the symptoms of major depression, SAD symptoms, according to the American Psychiatric Association, include:

Feelings of sadness or depressed mood.

Changes in one’s sleep and appetites.

Increased fatigue or loss of energy despite increased sleep.

An increase of restless activity or slowed movements or speech.

Trouble in making decisions or staying focused.

Thoughts of death, suicide or attempts to commit suicide.

Fortunately, SAD is a very treatable disorder, in fact, some treatments are manageable and straightforward enough for even students living on campus to take advantage of. This would include (although is not necessarily limited to): experiencing as much daylight as possible, eating healthy, spending time with family or friends, and staying active. However, in more severe cases, SAD, with the help of a mental health professional, can be treated with light therapy, antidepressant medications, talk therapy or a combination of these.

As winter approaches, the days grow shorter and the temperature plummets below zero, it is imperative that we stay mindful of those around us who may be suffering due to the changing season and are doing their best to manage their involuntary symptoms .If you feel you are suffering from SAD, don’t hesitate to seek advice from a mental health professional or Hamline’s Health and Counseling Services.

Stay warm, stay smart, drink warm beverages and enjoy your fall and winter seasons!

I am a native of Houston Texas pursuing a Creative Writing degree at Hamline University. Aside from writing I am passionate about music, literature, and traveling.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University