How To Entertain Yourself Like You’re A Kindergartener

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

I get bored very easy, but thankfully I’m entertained as easy as a hyper child. In these times of being forced to wander around my house, I’ve started to do weird projects to keep myself entertained. Hopefully, if you’re as easily entertained as I am, you’ll find these projects as fun as I do.

Cat In A Box

So I saw a random post that said if you put a tape square on the floor, then your can will think it’s a real box with walls and sit in it. Curious if it’ll work, it led to me sitting on the floor a bit away from the tape square for twenty minutes cheering on my cat before she went inside and sat just to humor me. If you have a cat on hand or even know of a neighbor or stray cat that wanders outside, try it and watch from a distance not to disturb them, and see what happens.

Bird Feeders

As spring comes slowly back and the faithful robin returns it can be fun to feed them and watch as they flock to your bird feeder. There are many different kinds of bird feeders and you can use whatever you have laying around in your pantry. Have stale bread, use string and tie a string of them to the trees. Add peanut butter or slices of dried or bad fruit that has been sitting around for too long for you to cook with. Make it your own. Even if you just get squirrels, it’s a fun way to pass the time.

Pillow Forts

Pillow forts can turn your plain old space into a whole new world. Use as little or as much blankets and pillows as you want. Read, sleep, or do school work inside. I remember as a kid trying to make as many rooms as possible to make it into a fortress. Nothing relaxes me more than sitting in the dark space of a pillow fort.

Stacking Competition

Don’t want to brag, but I’m pretty good at stacking pennies. I’ve gotten a stack of 62, I bet you can’t do better. As competitive as I am, I find stacking things to be an extreme sport that shouldn’t be scoffed at. I have even sent pictures to my brother and bet him to make a stack higher. Make it into a competition against yourself or others.

Book Dominoes

Have a bunch of bookies lying around like I do? Make them into dominoes. Stand them up in a line or a cool figuration and then knock them down to make a domino effect.

Pressing Flowers

You might have only ever seen this done in movies or in your grandmother’s books, but it’s truly fun and low stress or commitment to press flowers. To press flowers, you’re drying out flowers by pressing them in the middle of a book, then you can put the book back on the bookshelf for a time or just leave it out. I recommend weeds outside or fall leaves for they work the best. Store bought flowers don’t seem to press as well. If you use dandelions or flowers that could stain your book you can put wax paper or another piece of paper into the book in between the flowers and the pages so your book isn’t stained.

Make all these activities your own, and if you don’t want to go out and get the specific supplies for any of these projects just substitute for whatever is in your house. In times of boredom it’s always more fun to act like a kid again and have joy in things that have very low stakes and are just fun for the fun of it.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies