Fun Ways to Celebrate the Holidays in the Twin Cities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

The holidays can be stressful, especially as a student. While there are plenty of ways to celebrate the winter season it can be hard to narrow down the best activities and where to do them. Here’s a little list to help you find some holiday fun!

Holidazzle:

Holidazzle is an annual celebration that happens in Loring Park and downtown Minneapolis from November 23 to December 23. It highlights local performers and vendors. The event includes local food and craft vendors, fireworks, lights, Santa, weekly movies, musical performances and more! Be sure to celebrate the winter season with other community members at this month long festival.

Volunteer:

‘Tis the season to be thinking of others. Now that finals are over it’s time to look at the world and see how we can help. There are so many needs in the city. Make sandwiches for the homeless, pet some kitties at the humane society, check in with local non profits to see what’s available. Pick an organization that speaks to you and give a little time to it. Make sure to give back for the holidays because that’s really what they’re all about.

Lights:

Regardless of how festive you are personally, everyone can appreciate pretty glowing lights. Winter walks are underrated and there are plenty of spots. Downtown St. Paul has a tree and decorated park, Summit Avenue has the Governor’s home and a ton of other old Victorian homes, and Downtown Minneapolis has good displays too. Keep an eye out for local light shows!

Take a picture with Santa:

Pictures with Santa make a great gift for grandparents and other family members. It brings back those old memories of childhood. Tell Santa what you want for Christmas and get a piece of candy. You can find Santa almost anywhere but the closest spot to the Hamline campus is in the Rosedale Mall.

Ice skate:

If you have any coordination at all this is the winter activity for you. It’s exercise and fun! There’s an ice skating rink at the Mall of America. It’s free and open to the public from December 8th to January 27th. You can bring your own skates but rentals are available. All you have to do is sign a waiver for free fun!

Make cookies:

This yummy and classic holiday activity! You can try making then from scratch or just buy the dough at the store. These yummy treats are great to share with friends and family. Cookies are the best after finals snack. Once baked don’t forget to decorate with frosting and sprinkles!

Night Train:

The Twin City Model Railroad Museum has a special holiday tradition of running night trains. It runs every Saturday from November 3rd until the last Saturday of February. They have Santa visits and art displays to go along with their museum. Nothing like a winter evening train ride!

Check out these fun and local activities with your friends and family. Holiday cheer is easy to find in the cities. To take full advantage go to a couple of events and try something new. Whatever you do for the holidays, just be safe and have fun!

Sarah Sawyer

Hamline '21

I'm a sophomore pyschology major. In my freetime I like to watch Netflix, hangout with friends, explore the city, and take nature walks.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University