This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

According to the Common Project, in 2016 the world consumed about 107 billion units of clothes and 14.5 billion pairs of shoes. In the face of fast fashion, consumer demand for fashion is constantly changing, and the number of clothes in our closet is increasing day by day.

Building a highly versatile wardrobe will help you focus on clothes that make you feel confident and comfortable, instead of following the dizzying changing trends. At the same time, it also minimizes negative impacts on the environment. Best of all, with an efficient wardrobe, you won’t need to waste time answering the question: “What to wear today?” every morning.

Here are some things you can do to build an effective wardrobe for yourself.

1. Only buy items that you wear well

Most of us don’t take turns wearing all the clothes we own. Items that are “forgotten” in a closet are often deep in the corner or worn out after just one wash. We’re only wearing about 50% of our wardrobe.

2. Take a look at what you wear most often. 

Pay attention to the form, color, and texture of these items, then take note of these factors. They will help you better understand personal preferences and fashion styles, as well as make a “guideline” for the next purchase.

3. Do not shop emotionally

For clothes, we often do not shop as planned. The phenomenon of “impulsive buying” is the result of objective factors such as advertising or promotions, discounts, or a bad day.

Impulsive buying makes us buy unnecessary items. Above all, our shopping decisions are based primarily on emotions, especially when we’re sad. Whenever something goes wrong, we often reassure ourselves by going to the clothing store. But, “retail therapy” is often only effective temporarily and even makes you more impulsive in spending.

Always be alert before making a purchase. Clothing is like any other expense; have a reasonable shopping plan to have an efficient closet without compromising your budget.

3. Considerations before buying

When shopping for clothes, beauty is not the only deciding factor. You may ask yourself the following when trying on an item:

• “Does it fit me?” – Clothes that fit the body will create a sense of comfort while helping you look neat and well-groomed. Limit buying something that doesn’t fit \or something that you will wear when you lose weight.  Chances are you won’t remember in the future. 

• “Will it go with what I already own?” – A new clothing item should be able to mix with many items you already have. Keeping this in mind will also discourage you from buying similar to what you own. 

• “When will I wear it?” – A flexible outfit will serve a variety of purposes and situations. Choose items that are both suitable for work and play. For occasions such as parties or weddings, you can alternate dresses or suits, limiting the purchase of an outfit to wear only once.

4. What to do with old clothes?

You should check your closet and screen clothes periodically. To maintain an effective wardrobe, check and screen for clothes periodically. For unused clothes, you can give them to friends or relatives, donate, or resell good condition items. Check and screen for clothes periodically.

Conclusion

An efficient closet will bring us a lot of benefits. Not only does it save closet space, time, and shopping expenses, it also helps you to better understand your fashion style. Above all, it will help you to love the clothes you are wearing every day, and become a fashion-conscious lover.

Mien Le

Hamline '23

I'm from Vietnam. It means I am Hamline's international student. My major is Communication but I enjoy reading and writing the newspaper. I am a talkative person and I would be happy if you read my articles and discuss them with me. I love taking photos, singing, and dancing. Feel free to contact me!!
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies