Five Fun Ideas for Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Although Valentine’s Day is typically celebrated between couples in love, you can really spend time with anyone you love or care about, whether it be your family, friends or dog! Your friends have been there for you through thick and thin, so why not celebrate with them this season? Here are five ideas to get you started:

Have a movie night:

Especially with the cold weather we’ve been having, a movie night might be the best option! Invite your pals over and put on a couple of classics or binge-watch one of your favorite shows while sipping hot chocolate. Get cozy with lots of pillows and blankets, and munch on popcorn, candy or these tasty brownies.

Have a spa day:

Gather your BFFs and take a trip to your local spa to get a much-needed massage, facial or nail treatment. If you’re looking to save money, a DIY spa day can work just as well. Help each other paint your nails, put on face masks or try this homemade sugar scrub. Set up an essential oil diffuser (or ask if you can borrow one from a friend) and relax together.

Have a cook-off:

Many of us have seen those Tasty cooking videos, so why not try them out? Have everyone pick a recipe that they like and get cooking! You could stick to a theme such as appetizers or desserts, or have each person make one course. Work together if cooking isn’t your strong suit, or have a little competition if you really want to see who’s the best cook among your group.

Have a night out:

Date night doesn’t just have to be for couples. Head to the city with your gals (even if it’s just one or two of them!) and explore a little. Try out a new restaurant, see a show or walk around the mall. Take this opportunity to dress up and go out without the pressure of a first-date. Your friends will really appreciate the gesture, particularly the one that’s been feeling sad that they don’t have a date this Valentine’s Day.

Have a gift exchange:

Christmas doesn’t have to be the only holiday of gift-giving. Set up a white elephant with your friends and stick to small, meaningful items. You could also head to store and help pick out items for each other, and stick to a price limit. Otherwise you could get crafty and make homemade gifts for each other while listening to music or watching a movie; teach yourselves how to make friendships bracelets, jewelry or just handmade cards.

Remember, a day spent with your closest friends can be just as fun as going out with your significant other. Whatever you decide to do this Valentine’s Day, remember that you are loved and valued whether or not you are single. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University