jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

First Hand Experience On How to React and Recover from an Accident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Lilly Warner, first-year, got into a minor accident on I-94, with two friends, first-year Soren Kremer and I, on the way home from Uptown Minneapolis, and this is how we handled it.

I have been in seven car accidents. Yes, seven. On Feb. 8, Lilly Warner, Soren Kremer and I added the seventh during rush hour on the way home from Uptown Minneapolis. It was minor, but for these two it was a first. We slid underneath a 2013 hockey mom’s SUV and crunched the hood beyond repair. No one was hurt, thankfully, but the car was finished.

Warner responded quickly, following the Hockey Mom to the side of the freeway and getting out to check the damage. Warner then called 911, who sent an emergency dispatcher and an officer, along with a tow truck. Kremer photographed Warner’s vehicle and the Hockey Mom’s, which had substantially less damage.

Since we were on a freeway, the best course of action is to remain in the vehicle after the initial incident. Ideally, we wouldn’t have exited the vehicle at all, according to the officer, but making sure all parties were unhurt was the first thing on Warner’s mind. After returning the vehicle it’s suggested to keep all doors locked and every seat belted in.

Now, in this moment, after the initial shock has worn off and the robotic actions of calling 911 and finding your license, registration and insurance have ended you begin to catch up. For Warner, the realisation of the loss of her car hit first. In my experience, I have totalled or been involved in the totalling of four vehicles, this reaction varies; however, the feeling of anger, pain and fear all occur.

Anger at oneself for getting into the accident, the costs that may entail, and for younger people, how their parents will react. Physical pain, even small bruises or aches, that at first were unnoticed crop up slowly. Then, fear at a ticket, again the cost of the damages and what you’ll do next. While many websites like helpguide.org provides a list of ways to understand and reduce the stress and anxiety brought on by this event later on, what should one do in the moment?

Taking a moment to breath and let yourself evaluate what happened, perhaps even analyze what caused it can be beneficial to many. Also realizing that officers, EMTs and firefighters deal with this more often than we think and understanding that they have your safety first in mind can help calm anxieties about judgement, tickets and consequences. Grounding oneself, either talking to fellow passengers, calling a parent, or simply reading the registration of your vehicle can help with this. The 3-3-3 rule can also be of use in this moment, three things you can touch, smell and see to keep you in reality.

Next, after a while the officer arrived. Asking us to explain the situation, warner handled it logically and quickly. Explaining that traffic had sped up and she had gone with it, but the car in front of us stopped abruptly, for what we assumed was also traffic, and her old Volvo’s breaks didn’t quite make the distance. Giving her insurance information, what she had available and her license and registration to him, he went onto the other vehicle. After that he explained the Hockey Mom’s version of events and came to the conclusion we had followed too closely, but no one was hurt. The officer then told us he wouldn’t be giving a ticket, but that we need to be aware of city traffic and follow accordingly. Many officers are forgiving to young people in their first accidents and will always put your health before any kind of ticketing. Being aware that most officers have your safety in mind, it is good practice to try not to become defensive or argumentative with them. This is their job and they have the training to try and assist and react to you.

Lastly, the tow truck brought Warner’s car back to Hamline, in the Drew Lot, where it awaited the insurance company to remove it. The cost of the tow was around $115, since it was a short distance. Leaving it there, Warner called her mother and father, then the next day she called both her and the other driver’s insurance companies. Handling these calls a day or two after the accident is good for many, as they have time to process. Insurance companies give, on average, a 10 day waiting period for you to contact them and send the necessary documentation. There is no need to rush yourself into filling all the paperwork out and possibly triggering a more violent emotional response from your bogged mind.

While any accident of any kind can be a large shock to its victims, understanding the basic steps can relieve some of that stress. The most important thing to do first is call 911, or if its an accident with no property damage and no others involved a tow truck, and check for injuries. Next, calm yourself as best as you can and speak with the officers, EMTs and firefighters, they are there to help you and understand the situation. They are emergency response teams and they are working to help you. Lastly, you call your family members, insurance and any others that may be concerned with the event. This last step can span from the following hours to following weeks, depending on your state of mind and physical health. Insurance companies will work with you and they will know what to do and explain it clearly. The most important thing to remember is: You will be okay, this is not the end of the world and it happens to a lot of people. Don’t be embarrassed or angry with yourself, and learn from the mistake.

If you or a loved one is in an accident and is experiencing flashbacks, nightmares and/or anxiety about driving or being driven please visit Counseling and Health Services at Hamline or your personal doctor.