Fall Food OTHER Than Pumpkin Spice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

We get it, pumpkin spice is the most popular flavor this time of year… but there are so many other fantastic flavors of fall! Try out these other scrumptious foods that just scream fall and will warm you up.

Apple Cider and Hot Chocolate

Let’s not forget the other warm and cozy drinks of fall. These are two of my favorites, and you can get them almost anywhere or make them yourself. For a from-scratch apple cider, try out this slow cooker recipe.

Banana Bread

This could also be apple bread, pumpkin bread or cinnamon spice bread. I love a good warm banana bread in the fall, and it goes perfectly with a hot drink. If you have a couple of bananas that might go bad soon, try using them to make this chocolate chip banana bread loaf.

Butternut Squash Anything

Butternut squash soup, butternut squash ravioli, roasted butternut squash, oh my! If you can’t afford the restaurant version of these foods, many grocery stores sell them, and Panera has a great seasonal butternut squash soup. It’s also pretty healthy for you, so you can feel good even if you eat a lot of it (that’s how that works, right?). Fall is a great time for really any squash, as they’re in season.

Stews, Roasts and Soups

Hot soups and stews warm the soul, and it’s finally cool enough outside to really enjoy them. This could be anything from pot roast to minestrone soup. If you have a slow cooker, a stove or even a microwave really, you can enjoy these at college, but we all know nothing compares to the way our parents make them.

Caramel Apples

This is a fall classic. In addition to caramel apples, there are colorful candy-coated apples and yogurt covered apples if you’re looking for alternatives. If you can’t get the real deal, those caramel apple suckers are a yummy alternative.

Pies

There are apple pies, cherry pies, pumpkin pies, lemon pies, chocolate pies and more! Whether or not you celebrate Thanksgiving, you can partake of the joy of both making and eating a pie. Pies are also an easy way to use up all of those apples you have from visiting that orchard.

Maple and Candy

Maple candies and flavors are a sweet part of fall, as well as all of the candy surrounding Halloween. Some people feel that they are too old for Halloween, but what’s better than free candy?

If you are in love with the PSL, no shame to you. But if you ever get tired of the pumpkin spice flavor, mix it up with these other ideas and extend your reasons to love fall even more.

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University