ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

DIY Valentines Day Cards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Valentine’s Day is this week, but don’t panic if you haven’t gotten your sweetheart a card yet! Don’t forget that this holiday isn’t just for romance. I love giving my friends cards for Valentine’s Day because it makes me happy to show all the people I love how much they mean to me. What I don’t love is greeting card prices that add up fast. I prefer to DIY my Valentines. I’m sharing three of my DIY Valentines card ideas so you can avoid the card aisle too!

Animated eCards

eCards are a great way to let loved ones know you’re thinking of them. There are some really beautiful options out there that will brighten anyone’s day! I think it’s a lot of fun to click through a little animated story before getting to the sweet personalized message at the end, and I always love getting a virtual flower bouquet to liven up the dreary winter. Blue Mountain has lovely cards that can be emailed or sent through Facebook. They offer a 7-day free trial—more than enough time to send out all your Valentines! Doozy Cards is another great option that offers a 10-day free trial. As the name implies, Got Free eCards has a library of free ecards—no trial offer needed.

Hall Council

This year the Hamline RHA Hall Councils are handing out sweet treats on your behalf for Valentine’s Day! There’s no limit to how many you can send, so send a lot! I plan on sending them to all of my on-campus friends—both so they get a little treat and to let RHA know that we appreciate events like this.

Handmade Cards

I know, I know. Every time I suggest hand-making a card I inevitably hear “but I can’t draw!” However, that doesn’t mean you can’t still make an awesome Valentine. First off, you’re probably better than you think you are, and secondly, your Valentine won’t care that you aren’t a world-class artist. Getting a handmade card really tells a person how much you care, and that’s what they’ll focus on—not the skill that went into it. If you’re still not confident, here is a great tutorial on how to draw a rose, and there are many more like it for just about any object you can think of! For inspiration, hit up Pinterest or Google Images and browse through all the super creative and very punny cards that show up. For free supplies, head to the Sorin Information Desk and check out some colored markers and paper. The desk is open 2pm to midnight on weekdays and 2pm to 2am on Friday and Saturday, so even if it’s already late at night on the 13th you’ll still have time.

I hope you have been inspired to go out and make Valentines for all of your loved ones! If not, that’s okay too. Just make sure to let your people know how much you care about them—we can all use the reassurance that we are loved and valued.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I study Criminal Justice at Hamline University, with minors in Forensic Science and Creative Writing.