This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Are you looking for a new book series that you can really dig your teeth into? Allow me to recommend one of my all-time favorites: the In Death series by J.D. Robb. The series follows Eve Dallas, a police officer investigating homicides in New York City. Here are 5 reasons why you should give it a try!

1. It’s Set in the Future

I am not usually a science-fiction fan, but these books take place in the 2060s and I just love the futuristic touches. Everyone has an AutoChef—basically a microwave that cooks meals for you. Cars have a vertical mode, where they can fly for short stretches of time to hop over traffic or some other inconvenience. Sex work is legal and regulated. Eve Dallas is a homicide lieutenant in the NYPSD, or New York Police and Security Department. She has equipment that can tell her exactly when a victim died. The wealthy have droids (robots designed to look like real people) who clean their homes. Off-planet transportation is no big deal when you want to check out the exclusive space resorts—or the penal colonies. These blend together to create a world that’s just a little outside of our own, but not so futuristic that it becomes science fiction.

2. The Romance

J.D. Robb. is the pen name for Nora Roberts, who is one of the most popular romance novelists in the country. She has a knack for writing dreamy yet somehow realistic romances, and applies that to the In Death books. Eve meets the love of her life, the gorgeous Irish businessman Roarke, in the first book and we get to watch their relationship flourish over the course of the series. Their romance is unpredictable and occasionally rocky, but always swoon-worthy.

3. The Characters

The In Death series sports some truly wonderful characters. Besides Eve and Roarke, there’s a whole cast of others you can’t help but love. Delia Peabody, Eve’s aide (and then police partner) is sweet and funny as she perpetually worries about the size of her ass. Nadine Furst, a top on-air crime reporter, forges a genuine friendship with Eve, even as she bugs her for a soundbite on the latest homicide investigation. Ian McNab is a computer geek with several feet of blond hair and more earrings than can be counted. Dr. Charlotte Mira is a mother figure to Eve as she gently helps her work out her traumatic past while consulting on cases. Mavis Freestone is Eve’s best friend, always a whirlwind of energy and happiness, and her hair is a different bright color everytime we see her. And there are so many more! Every character is full of life and brings something special to the series.

4. The Cases are Fascinating

The first homicide Eve investigates in the series is totally unique to her because it was done by a virtually obsolete weapon—a gun. With advances in technology, guns fell out of fashion and are viewed as rather primitive. Later cases she investigates include human cloning, holographic video-game illusions made real and a software that infects the brain and causes suicide. Of course the regular (and not-so-regular) stabbings, bludgeonings, revenge kills and crimes of passion are included too, but they’re always fresh and interesting.

5. It Never Ends

As of now, Robb has written and published a whopping 48 entries to the series, and she still releases two new Eve Dallas books every year! Some of my favorite series have been frustratingly short, but that is certainly not the case here. I have most of the series on audiobook and will usually turn one on while I clean. With 48 unique murder mysteries, I never get bored, even on my 3rd or 4th read.

A Caveat

While I do absolutely love this series, I feel the need to say this before encouraging others to go read it. It is very much the future of the 1990s (when the series started) as written by a third-wave feminist. For instance: marriage equality is everywhere, but whenever someone in a gay couple is mentioned they are referred to as a “same-sex spouse” rather than “husband” (husband and wife are always the terms used for heterosexual marriages). I would like to note that she’s gotten better about this in the more recent books. Similarly, Eve occasionally uses some very offensive slurs. The intent is not malicious but that doesn’t make it okay and it can be upsetting.

I’d also like to offer a content warning: Eve also has a great deal of trauma in her past regarding childhood abuse and many of the cases can get very graphic with descriptions of sexual violence.

I can’t wait for the 49th(!) book from this series to come out in September. I love having a never-ending series with regular additions to read. It helps me stay sane while I wait for Gillian Flynn’s next novel! These clever procedurals may not be flawless, but they mean a lot to me and I’m always looking to share my reading adventures with others.

I study Criminal Justice at Hamline University, with minors in Forensic Science and Creative Writing.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University