This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Dear Piper;

I’m really annoyed. I have so much DB to get rid of. I know the school says they’re going to change it so that I only have to get 400 in DB, but that doesn’t help me now, does it. What am I supposed to do with 600 DB? I can’t buy out the C store because I live out of state, so where am I supposed to store 600 DB worth of food until next semester? I guess I’ll just watch the 600 dollars disappear. 

Thanks for letting me rant,

Drowning in DB

Dear Drowning in DB,

Do not let your DB go back to Hamline! I love Hamline, but honestly that is your money and I don’t think I need to argue that you should spend it. You don’t want to buy out the C Store because 1) you can’t bring it back and 2) you don’t want to lose all your friends. People get real mad when the C Store isn’t in stock.

So one option you have is to go to Starbucks. You can be the Good Samaritan that buys strangers Starbucks! So basically what you do is you go up to the Starbucks workers and say, “Hey rad person doing a rad job, I would like to pay for the next $600 worth of drinks. So when people come in they don’t have to pay.” If it’s a newer person, they may not be able to do it and may need some help, so leave time to hang out and wait. But at least then your unused funds will make someone else’s day! Plus, you will also feel pretty great about helping your fellow Pipers out. 

You can also do the same thing at Subway. Or you can buy a bunch of cookies and there are places you can leave snacks that people will take them. Your options include: the library (the table across from the Central Service Desk), second floor of the GLC by those really, really long wood tables by the English and Communication departments, and the Commuter Lounge in the basement of West Hall. Make sure you make a little note telling people to help themselves. The vast majority of Hamline students are Minnesotans and they are very passive and will not take cookies or other goodies, unless they know FOR SURE you don’t want it. 

Also, if you see someone at the C Store, Starbucks, Subway, Bishop’s Bistro or The Piper Grill that cringes whenever they see how much their total is or you can tell that they want to get something, but maybe are out of DB, just buy it for them. They will be forever grateful that you helped them out. Plus you never know what someone is going through so just be kind to everyone. 

You can also go to the C Store and get some merch. This might be hard with you flying home, but if there is room in your suitcase or if you can mail it home, I would highly recommend it. Especially if you are a first-year, getting Hamline merch for your family is basically a right of passage. Or you can buy merch for friends if you don’t have room for it! 

Overall, don’t give your DB to Hamline, give it to me. JK. Kinda. But honestly spending your DB on friends or anyone will make them feel great especially with the stress of finals coming, and moving. So if you can help someone out by using your extra DB, do it. It will help them relieve stress and you. So it’s a win-win. Sorry Prezzy Miller for us actually using our money, but it’s our money. 

Sincerely, 

Patricia Piper

Patricia Piper is a proud Hamline student who loves long walks on the beach, reading and helping people. She has a PHD in interpretive dance. loves to rescue cats in her free time and has about twenty in her house at one time.
Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.