This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Fall is the best time for being a nerd. Obviously, all seasons are great for nerdiness, but Halloween offers a time for the weirdos to get excited about the weird. The world of the fantastic and the strange in comic books is confusing and complicated, and can often be difficult for new readers to jump into. However, comic book creators across the decades have played with the Halloween holiday to create stories for readers old and new. These three recommendations give readers of various interests, from very cute to very creepy, a chance to get into the comic book medium this Halloween. 

Batman: Li’l Gotham #1, #19, #20 by Derek Fridolfs and Dustin Nguyen: This all-ages book follows the adventures of Batman and Robin throughout the year. Each issue tells the stories of how Gotham’s many heroes and villains celebrate different holidays or seasons. While Li’l Gotham’s first issue begins with Robin learning the joys of trick-or-treating, autumn returns later in the series in Issue 19. As fall rolls around again, Harley Quinn attempts to raise the spirits of a downtrodden Poison Ivy who is mourning the loss of summer. Things get spooky in Issue 20, as Robin attempts to solve the mystery afoot in the Wayne Manor.

This lighthearted book can’t fail to bring smiles. Though a little background knowledge on the Dark Knight is beneficial, each issue is a self-contained story. Batman fans will find the book an absolute treat. Dustin Nguyen’s impressive watercolor illustrations are worth the price alone. 

Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan Cliff Chiang: Any fans of Stranger Things, It or other “kids on bikes” science fiction stories may find their new favorite in Paper Girls. In the early hours of November 1, 1988, a group of newspaper delivery girls find themselves caught in the middle of a time travel war.  

The thirty issue series has been praised for bringing a focus on young women and LGBTQ+ characters in a genre that prioritizes the perspectives of male friend groups and where queerbaiting is prominent. Colorist Matt Wilson’s mix of both flashy and muted palettes creates an engaging background for the story to play out upon. 

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack (And all of Archie Horror): Forget the world of hijinks and milkshakes. The world of the Archie Horror Imprint is a land of zombie high schools, vampiric cheerleaders and man-eating witches. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which inspired the 2018 Netflix television series, follows the blooming witch Sabrina Spellman as she juggles high school drama and deals with the devil. Though no prior knowledge of the Archie-verse is required, fans of any of the chaotic teen television dramas will find a special joy in exploring these stories in a new medium. 

Comic fans have begged the imprint to continue the eight-issue horror series, though little has been confirmed. Despite the book’s limited run, the vintage-inspired series has received critical praise. It is deliciously dark and always a good Halloween read. 

These are just a few of the many titles that explore the weirdness of the season. Readers can find these titles and more Halloween horror at their local comic book and game stores. Visit Comic Shop Locator to find out what shops are near you! 

Sabrina Merritt is currently studying for an English degree with a concentration in professional writing and rhetoric. Her highest passions are tabletop role-playing and learning about how to be an environmentally-friendly consumer.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies