This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Changes Coming to Campus That I’m Stoked About

Madelaine Formica

With a new semester, new changes on campus come along. For the year 2018-2019 Hamline has a couple of exciting changes that can make campus seem like a whole new place.

New meal plan:

I know I always struggle at the end of the year to get rid of my 900 DB. Dining services are finally answering my prayers now that I don’t fully need it next semester by lowering the meal plan to 400 DB. Now I know what you’re thinking “I needed my 900 DB, how am I suposed to cover all my snacking and eating needs.” Well fake student, the Bistro will be opened all day, still having its same meal times for breakfast, lunch, and supper, but it will have food, such as sandwiches, fruit, muffins, and such all day, so if you need a snack, you can just go in and out of the Bistro without using swipes. No swipes needed at the Bistro for those with meal plans, if you need to let in a friend or family member without meal plans you will get a hand full of guest swipes. Commuter students will be forced to pay for $100 of DB, but only first-years, sophomores and transfer students.

Smoking ban:

Starting Jun. 1 Hamline campus will be tobacco free. This means if you’re a smoker you’ll have to go to public sidewalks. No more holding your breath outside of GLC. I doubt it will fully keep down cigarette butts on campus or truly stop everyone from smoking on campus, since there is no fine, but hopefully it’ll cut down on some of the smoke on campus.  

New furniture in Sorin:

RT London’s Evolve line of furniture which will be replacing the furniture in Sorin; Courtesy of RT London.

The closets will be knocked out of Sorin and all its furniture will be replaced. This isn’t only exciting for Sorin, for slowly the furniture in each dorm will be switched out, every year. The new furniture will be easy to rearrange and stacked in any configuration that students will want. Now that students can live wherever they want, no matter their class standing, then anyone can take part in living in the refurbished, renovated Sorin.

More single rooms:

Schilling, one of the Heights buildings, will be turned into almost all single rooms. Now I know, the Heights isn’t something to revel about living in, but after living in a Height’s single for the summer, I have to say it’s pretty nice. Roomy, with a brick aesthetic. It doesn’t have new furniture, but not dealing with roommates can allow you to put up with any dorm.

Changes are always exciting and I’m extra excited about this year’s new incentives. It feels like Hamline is trying to do a lot of innovating after listening to students many complaints. Or at least most of mine. I hope that these changes will continue and expand with the coming years, while always taking students feedback in mind.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University