Best Road Trip Destinations of Minnesota

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

New to MN? Trying to decide where to visit while in town? Here are a few of Minnesotans’ favorite cities you should try!

Duluth:

Just a few hours north of the Twin Cities, you will find Duluth. With endless outdoor activities to enjoy in the summer, Duluth provides a beautiful gateway to Lake Superior! Head to Canal Park -the heart of Duluth- and walk along the breathtaking shore or out to the lighthouse along the water! You can also enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride throughout the cobblestone streets. After exploring the many shops in the city, enjoy a scenic forty mile drive along the shore to Gooseberry falls. Full of hiking and picturesque scenes, you will witness the incredible beauty Minnesota has to offer! If visiting in the winter, Duluth has a variety of adventurous activities including skiing, snowboarding and tubing at Spirit Mountain. Stay at a cozy lodge within Duluth and you will not be disappointed. 

Taylors Falls:

A mere one hour trip from Minneapolis, Taylor’s Falls can be a fantastic day-long excursion away from the hustle and bustle of the cities! Best known for its fall colors and unique terrain, Taylor’s Falls contains the beautiful St. Croix river right in the middle of the city. You can take a relaxing dinner cruise, or if you are feeling more adventurous, choose from numerous hiking paths throughout interstate park!

Brainerd:

Only two hours northwest of the cities, you can find every outdoor Minnesota activity possible! Hiking, biking, horseback riding, four-wheeling, water sports – the possibilities are endless  in Brainerd. With over 450 lakes, you will never run out of new places to explore. It is also well known for winter activities such as snowmobiling, ice fishing and snowshoeing.

Stillwater:

A quaint and quiet city approximately thirty minutes from the Twin Cities will make for a perfect afternoon. The city of Stillwater contains the very best of antique stores, boutiques and a variety of restaurants depending on your mood. Next to the St. Croix river, Stillwater offers beautiful scenery throughout the city. The water edge is lined with benches and a high brick wall, giving viewers countless locations to watch the boaters pass through. You can also climb to the very top of the city to see everything Stillwater has to offer. From shopping and dining, to recreational activities and beautiful scenery, you are bound to enjoy your time here!

Make sure to check out one of these cities next time you are in Minnesota, snow or shine!

Hamline student and fresh writer excited to contribute!
Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.