The Best Movies to Get You In the Christmas Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It’s that time again: the most wonderful time of the year! As trees go up, lights appear on houses and snow dusts the ground, the Christmas spirit of loving and giving is coming alive. Though it may be freezing and snowy outside, it’s always a good idea to settle in with some hot cocoa and cookies to watch a feel-good Christmas movie. Here’s a list of classics as well as new Netflix releases to watch to get you in the Christmas spirit!

A Christmas Story

To kick off a list of classics is the humorous story of Ralphie Parker in “A Christmas Story.” For Christmas, he wants a Red Ryder air rifle, but his mother is worried that he’ll “shoot his eye out.” He spends his time with his trusted friends and dodging a bully named Scut Farkus. He frequently disagrees with his cranky dad but is consoled by his mother. Find out what happens to Ralphie on Christmas day with this fun-loving Christmas classic!

The Grinch

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is another Christmas classic, and now you have options to watch the original movie produced in 1966, the version released in 2000 with Jim Carrey, or the newly released “The Grinch” in theatres now! Both follow the story of the Grinch, who lives alone with his dog Max. He hates when his neighbors, the citizens of Whoville, spread their Christmas joy through their decorations and singing. He attempts to pose as Santa Claus and steal the Christmas cheer, but may find a change of heart after all. Enjoy this classic Dr. Seuss story to get in the holiday mood.

Elf

Starring Will Ferrell, “Elf” follows Buddy, who was accidentally transported to the North Pole as a toddler and grows up with Santa and the elves there. He begins to realize that he doesn’t fit in, and takes a grand journey to New York City to find his real father, Walter Hobbs, who turns out to be a cynical businessman with an office job. Walter reluctantly agrees to start a relationship with a very persistent Buddy. The outcome may be somewhat chaotic, but the movie is full of moments that will make you laugh!

It’s a Wonderful Life

This beautiful movie exemplifies the important themes of Christmas. It follows the life of George Bailey, a good and honest man. He runs into struggles with his family banking company because of a death and a rivalry company. George’s hardships are so overwhelming that he forgets his blessings and believes that life would be better if he were never born. Clarence, George’s guardian angel, shows him what the town would be like without his good deeds. The journey inspires George to be grateful and to work hard for his family and children. Though it’s a long movie, it’s definitely worth the time commitment to experience the Christmas spirit work its magic.

Charlie Brown Christmas

Perhaps Charlie Brown’s most famous movie, “Charlie Brown Christmas” is a movie that the whole family can enjoy. Based on the comic strip Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz, the television special usually airs around Christmas time and brings laughter and joy. Though Charlie finds himself depressed despite all of the holiday cheer, his friends remind him of the true spirit of Christmas, and the whole gang works to celebrate.

Home Alone

A well known Christmas movie, “Home Alone” follows Kevin McCallister on an epic adventure when his family leaves for a Christmas in Paris without him. He wakes to think his wildest dreams have come true, but then finds that he must protect the house against two con men who wish to rob the McCallister household. It’s hilarious and a must-see during the Christmas season!

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

This 1989 film starring Chevy Chase is a hilarious Christmas classic. The movie opens with the family driving out to the country to buy a huge Christmas tree, only to find that they forgot any tools to cut the tree down. With bickering parents, a house colored in thousands of lights, the dilemma of a Christmas bonus and a disastrous Christmas dinner, you’ll find yourself laughing all throughout this movie!

There are also some new cheesy Christmas movies available on Netflix this season! Snuggle up with some eggnog and gingerbread for these festive romantic films.

A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding

Full of royalty and romance, “A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding” follows Amber a year after she helped Richard get to the throne. She starts questioning whether she is really cut out to be queen while preparing for her wedding with Richard. Find out whether she follows through with this new Netflix original.

The Princess Switch

Continuing the royal theme, “The Princess Switch” tells the story of two women who look exactly alike that switch places one week before Christmas. One is a duchess of a fantastical kingdom, while one is an ordinary woman living in Chicago. Problems arise when they fall in love with each other’s beaus. Get in the holiday spirit of love and romance with this heartwarming love story.

The Holiday Calendar

This movie stars Kat Graham as Abby, a photographer who inherits an antique Advent calendar. This is no ordinary calendar, though–it predicts her future, which seems to include a new lover. Follow Abby’s budding romance with “The Holiday Calendar.”

With this multitude of Christmas movies, it shouldn’t be hard to get in the holiday spirit! Enjoy some cozy nights inside while the snow falls gently with these comedic and romantic films. Happy Holidays!

Emma Harrington is a first year at Hamline University studying English and Creative Writing. Besides writing, she enjoys singing in the A Capella Choir, dancing, running, and being outdoors.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University